Nick Moffitt on Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:09:48 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> cyberslavery

begin  text warez quotation:
> Shailesh concedes "I was naturally sceptical even when Tauseef
> approached me because I just could not imagine kids, who had yet to
> step into their teens, doing what even grownups find difficult to
> attempt."

	The only reason grownups find it difficult is that it
apparently involves a lot of boring wrote memorization of out-of-date
facts.  This is precisely what an 11-year-old is trained to do in
school.

	Other than this, the certification exams are dead easy.
Technical certification programs are *not* designed to churn out
better engineers.  They're designed to be as easy to pass as possible,
so that applicants for jobs will put the certifications on their
resumes.

	Imagine you're a manager, and you look at a bunch of job
applicants, and they all say "We're CrunchlyCorp FooTronix[TM]
certified!".  After a while, you begin to think "Well, there must
rilly be somethin' to this here CrunchlyTech!"  You've got hiring
*and* purchasing authority!  You're a ready-made customer for
CrunchlyCorp!

	Technical certifications on resumes are like garish logos on
clothing.  You're paying money to advertise for someone else.

--
You are not entitled to your opinions.

	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter!