Beatrice Beaubien on Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:33:58 +0200 (CEST)

dogma, was Re: [Nettime-bold] my karma

Hi Bill,

>How can I possibly break this to him? Please help me by suggesting a passage that I can include in the eviction notice - maybe some kind of *soldier-on* crapola from Kipling, or other;  maybe some Goethe?

 (apologies to those on the list who have heard some of these before.)

"kouardz 4go luv" -=cw4t7abs

"Time heals all wounds, but does it heal all inadequacies?"-Victor Hugo

"Time wounds all heels." -Jane Sherwood-Ace

"L'enfer c'est les autres. (Hell is other people.)" - Jean Paul Sartre

"It is not enough to be exceptionally mad, licentious and fanatical in order to win a great reputation; it is still necessary to arrive on the scene at the right time." - Voltaire

"Language is just no damn good.  I use it because I have to, but I don't put any trust in it." -Marcel Duchamp

"Not where we stand, but in what direction we are moving." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us."-Nelson Mandela

"The future masters of technology must be light-hearted and intelligent. The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb." - Marshall McLuhan

"Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower."-Bruce Feirstein

"... only he is an emancipated thinker who is not afraid to write foolish things."-Anton Chekhov

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."-- Douglas Adams

La seule façon de défendre ses idées et ses principes est de les faire connaître.-Wilfrid Laurier, 1841-1919, premier ministre du Canada de 1896 à 1911.Dans un discours, 1870.

Quoi que tu rêves d'entreprendre, commence-le. L'audace a du génie, du pouvoir, de la magie.-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832, écrivain allemand.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people think you cannot do.

On ne discute pas plus avec les croyances qu'avec les cyclones.-Gustave Le Bon, 1841-1931, médecin et sociologue français.

L'antipathie analyse mieux, mais la sympathie seule comprend.- André Siegfried, 1875-1959, économiste et sociologue français.

Moins on a d'idées, plus on se massacre pour elles.-Paul Carbone, né en 1935, enseignant et écrivain français.

C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire à la lumière!-Edmond Rostand, 1868-1918, poète et auteur dramatique français.

Je ne veux pas que ma maison soit murée de toutes parts, ni mes fenêtres bouchées, mais qu'y circule librement la brise que m'apportent les cultures de tous les pays. -Mahatma Gandhi, 1869-1948, philosophe et homme politique indien.

Real culture lives by sympathies and admirations, not by dislikes and disdains. -William James

"Luck is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls, and the dust settles, eons after God has passed by."  -Kurt Vonnegut, _The Sirens of Titan_

"95% of success is just showing up." - Elvis Costello

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat."

"The pendulum of the mind oscillates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong."  -Carl Jung

"Because our representation of reality is so much easier to grasp than reality itself, we tend to confuse the two and to take our concepts and symbols for reality" -Fritjof Capra

"The greatest burden is to have nothing to carry." - Jewish proverb

"That which hinders your task IS your task."  -Sanford Meisner

"My grandfather once told me there are two kinds of people:  those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group, there was less competition." - Indira Gandhi

"All my life I wanted to be a somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific."  -Lilly Tomlin

"Some people say I cannot sing, but no one can say I didn't sing."  -Florence Foster Jenkins

"The key to great solution is really mixing it up." -Ms. Frizzle

"I'm not as big a fool as I used to be, I'm a smaller fool."  -Jack Kerouac