Robert Dobbalina on Sat, 28 Jul 2001 03:28:32 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> please encrypt private e-mail

In regards to PGP license agreement:

>I'll take free speech over privacy any day, even if it's about something
>stupid like how well their product works. Read my email all you like; just
>don't try to tell me what I can and cannot say.

>I'm exxagerating to make a point. Who are they kidding?

They also want to know your home phone number, birthday, address, and many
other personal details. It also immediately (before registering a keyring)
demands access to the internet, presumably to phone home and tell Network
Associates your IP address.

Of course you can lie about all this and spoof your IP, but all in all it
seems very intrusive, and perhaps sinister.

And of course there is also the likelihood (certainty?) that all senders and
receivers of encrypted messages are flagged as suspects by Echelon,
Carnivore, and related data espionage systems.

Not to discourage anybody from encryption or considering the possibility
that online activist communications are being routinely intercepted.

Anyone who feels they are already on 'red flag' lists may want to consider
hushmail, a web based encrypted e-mail system which is PGP compatible.
Hushmail is run by Phil Zimmerman - the creator of PGP and a fellow who has
braved the threat of imprisonment in order to release free encryption
software. Take a look at http://www.hushmail.com/