Heiko Recktenwald on Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:10:31 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis (instead ofmp3)

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Florian Cramer wrote:

> speaks about encoders, please note the sentence "Pay-audio licenses
> against a royalty of $ 0,01 per song or 1 % of the selling price".

Hmm, they are free to sell their encoder for whatever price they want.
They "own" the encoder.

But once you own an encoder, you can do whatever you want.

So the scenario, best case scenario from the side of Fraunhofers,
would affect only transfers of encoders in the future. Maybe this is a
valid limitation, isnt "shrinc-wrap-bla", but you must have got this
encoder with this limitation. I dont think I got mine with such a limit
and there are freeware encoders. Illegal ??? They cant change things for
the past.

Anyway, they "own" the encoder but not the music.

Maybe Fraunhofers try to be in legal matters as innovativ as they once
were in mp3. Napoli..

I think I still have some l3enc 0.99 beta. Who wants it ?

H.