mercedes bunz on Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:08:50 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] shadowing theory and technology constructing subjects

Extensions, Boundaries & Double Crossings
Or: We don't trust anybody. Shadowing Theory and Technology
constructing subjects

M. Bunz

"Reality Engineering and the Computer" are the words that startet
this text. It was constructed for an amsterdam symposium of the same
name. And I have to admit right away that what I found most
interesting about this title and what will be a kind of core of the
text is the "and". It will focus on the different ways in which the
word "and" formats the relation between reality - which means us, the
humans - and the computer. My ambition is to demonstrate that the
"and" is the political zone of this constellation. A hidden machine,
a concealed theoretical protocol which constitutes boundaries.

But it will take several shifts to arrive - hopefully - at that
conclusion. The first shift: The text will freely turn the title
upside down - transforming the question "How does the computer
engineer reality?" into the question "How does reality engineer the
computer?" although the context of the title seems to push its
meaning towards a "Computer-assisted construction of reality" - as
the press text suggests. But "and" arranges the relation in "reality
engineering and the computer" loosely enough to leave some
possibilities - like to invert the relation. And why should one hand
out reality only to one side of the screen, especially because there
is already an established discourse about how media is constructing
and changing reality - frightening analyses which are most of the
time ruled by "Kulturpessimismus" - as we say in German. Therefore
the text will re-arrange the positions in order to demonstrate how
these theories of technology themselves are constructed, and how they
construct the technical discours and with it the technical reality.

By doing so we accept, that there are not only technical protocols
which set the framework to determine a course. The concepts of media
theory do set frameworks as well, and they codify the discourse and
therefore the practices of technology. So the following text
understands media-theory as a theoretical protocol, which does not
only produce a certain view on technology, but a view that
constitutes facts. Armed with the French Sociologist Bruno Latour who
showed that objects can't be divided from the subjects - and we will
take those here as our deputies of reality - it will analyse how the
discours and the practices of the technology of the Internet is
influenced by theoretical concepts. So on a basic layer we are about
to ask the following questions. [1] Which concept of a human subject
is developed by a specific media theory? [2] How is the "and"
organized and consequently what is the additional role that the
technology must play?

I. For many years now

For many years now it has been common to refer to technology as an
"extension of man". Indeed, "the extension of man" sounds as funky as
"planet of the apes" and one wonders why the concept did not make it
to Hollywood as a movie title. There wouldn't even be any copyright
problems. Although Marshall McLuhan is the most popular name
connected with that theoretical concept, the concept is quite a lot
older. It is dating from before the 19th century anthropology all the
way to the ancient Greeks and Aristoteles. He already outlined
technology as a substitute for biological defects and technical
development and understood it as a cultural progression. And with or
without Hollywood we still seem to believe in the same idea and
understand technology as progression and an indicator of a nation's
status. The only shift might be that we exchanged adjectives and
replaced "cultural" with "economical".

So up to now the concept of technology as an extension of man gets
repeated again and again. While the technical inventions and the
terms describing technology transformed from techne and machina to
arts and crafts, "back" to machines again [but did it really
re-change?] and finally to high-tech, the underlying validity and
continuation of the theoretical concept "extension of man" is very
impressive.

But does it really stay the same? For example we could say that today
it is a common believe, that we no longer control technology. We
rather believe, that technology is controlling us. Which is why we
are here today - to question the reality of contemporary technology,
to "provide(s) a glimpse of the past and the future of the
computer-assisted construction of reality" . We don't trust anybody -
a very sceptical, suspicious and therefore post-modern condition,
Bruno Latour would say, denying, of course, the so called "modern"
assumption that with the help of technology as our extension we
humans control nature. Or travel around the universe. Technology and
Extension - obviously their relation transforms within the validity
of the terminology and we have two possibilities to read "extension"
- a modern and a post-modern one. Hence, in the following part of my
talk I will take the term "extension of man" directly and cross it
with the questions of the "and" to analyse it word by word in a close
reading following the trace of the extension.

II. Extension seems to be a very clear condition

Extension seems to be a very clear condition, because it functions
only in one direction. It introduces a hierarchy between two things.
Man is extending, technology is being used for it. It links an active
subject to a passive object that is appropriated. A very classical
figure of philosophy, which is used all over the historical discourse
of technology, in order to explain why man invented tools. Technology
is therefore not only an extension but an intention of man too,
because our fingers were too clumsy, because our power should be
enlarged, because our orders should be heard far away. This is
history of technology driven by the projection of organs. And with
the communication technology - specifically the Internet - this
concept is reinforced again, even though it might sound a little bit
obsolete. Derrick de Kerckhove for instance ­ former assistant of
McLuhan and now director of the McLuhan-Program at the University of
Toronto - describes the Internet in analogy to our nervous system -
which is a topic stemming not only from McLuhan himself but from 19th
century efforts trying to understand the function of the telegraph.
And just like with the telegraph people celebrated the Internet as an
appropriation of space and time and followed Marshall McLuhans
prediction of a global village.

III. But anyway. A "Machbarkeitswahn"

But anyway. A "Machbarkeitswahn" - a "mania of feasibility" like the
one experienced in the fifties embodied in visions of acquiring space
and time failed to appear. Dreams of humans living under the water,
in a star ship or on mars were not re-invigorated - unfortunately. So
did this concept of feasibility fail? Or do we just have to look
somewhere else for it? Maybe feasibility didn't happen in classical
science fiction sense, but it did happen intensely and overwhelmingly
in: the economic arena.
"It began with the arrival of personal computers, open markets, and
globalisation in the early 1980s. Computers, networks, biotechnology,
alternative energy technology and eventually nanotechnology could
keep the Long Boom growing for at least the next 20 years" reported
the American magazine Wired1998. Which we translate as the following:
There are so many subjects out there. They all want to have their
extension. So sell it.

For a while we could watch the new economy market dictating a new
market reality with new rules for the stock exchange - for example
not to judge them by profit but by turnover. Here we have a first
example how a specific protocol - the theoretical architecture of the
Internet as the extension of man - is engineering an economic level
of reality, which in turn drove up the value of a stock and
resultingly, made a specific type of technology appear. It also for
example turned the focus to software-technology that was primarily
developed for the economic arena. Coding as a creative process or
html as a language easier to learn than German is not at issue
anymore at all. The Cyber-Community of Producers who ruled the net in
the middle of the Nineties with their babble about collective
identities and experiments of identity-swapping were forced out. The
CEOs became the new paradigm of the net followed by a whole field of
Security Software: Firewalls were built, digital watermarks got
invented, Content became something you had to talk about as a surplus.

A technical reality was formed by a discourse - it is evident that
although tech-talk's formalized language seems to pretend hard facts
there is no so called "nature" of technology. The political, cultural
and economical interests on controlling the Internet is therefore
always a discoursive struggle, and we are responsible for taking
part. Lawrence Lessig, a Professor at Havard Law School and advocate
for open source software, insists for that reason: "It is not the
nature of cyberspace to be unregulable; cyberspace has no 'nature'.
It only has code - the software and hardware that make cyberspace
what it is. That code can create a place of freedom - as the original
cyberspace on the net did - or a place of exquisitely oppressive
control."

IV. But while the market was rising

But while the market was rising with the concept of enlarging the
human range via the Internet the typical problems of a modern
humanism showed up: Which human will it be? Will it be me?
Newspapers, Politicians, Critics of all sorts began threatening
people with a loss of their identity. The UNESCO called for several
meetings of about 40 cultural ministers to keep cultural diversities
alive ­ as if man was an animal in danger of extinction. How can we
conserve identity? Shall we put it into a museum? Can we find an
equivalent to the zoo? Will we breed different kinds of identities?
Or is it better to market them as tourist attractions?

Despite all those serious and interesting questions it is apparent,
that the threat of globalisation was not discussed as a problem of
capitalism behaving as a worldwide standard. It was the Internet,
which was to blame, not credit cards as the only valid value. When
villifying the Internet and not capitalism as the monster of
globalisation one cannot hold on to the modern idea of an extension
of man, one cannot hold on to an autonomous subject of intention.
Monsters do not behave like passive objects. With the concept of the
Internet as a monster one becomes post-modern.

IV. We actually have concealed

We actually have concealed not only this, but some of the problems
that occur in the technical theory of the modernists. Technology as
an enlargement is not behaving as passively as it was supposed to.
Technology is not only a supplement of the human, but a supplement of
other technology as well, exclusively made to produce other tools.
Hence the relation within the technology is much stronger than the
one between man and technology. And the more complex technology
becomes the fewer humans need to be part of the machine actions. So
where to put the intention? This shuffles the direct and hierarchical
relation of the traditional modern concept. But I will show that
therefore the architecture of the "extension"-protocol must not
necessarily collapse. Instead it can be re-established the other way
around.

We have seen that technology is treated as an extension of man; it is
treated like a supplement. But like Derrida demonstrated for
"écriture" - for "writing" - it has an additional effect apart from
being a "surplus", from being an addition that is expanding the
presence of the subject. Marshall McLuhan reported in Understanding
Media. "Š the 'message' of any medium or technology is the change of
scale or pace or pattern that it introduces into human affairs. The
railway did not introduce movement or transportation or wheel or road
into human society, but it accelerated and enlarged scale of previous
human functions, creating totally new kinds of cities and new kinds
of work and leisure."   It is not only a substitute beginning at the
"positivity of the presence" as Derrida would say - in our case a
subject, which it has to enlarge. It shapes it. Now humans were to
become the extension of machines. "Media determines our situation. "
- with this sentence Friedrich Kittler started his analyses of
"Grammophon, film, typewriter". While the modernists celebrated
History as the human achievement getting more and more independent of
nature, the Post-modernists rewrote history as the development of
machines getting more and more independent of man. The media theory
of Baudrillard, Virillio or Kittler can claim copyright for this:
they shifted the role of technology from being a passive object to an
active one. The concept of an active subject that was commonly bound
to humans got now bound to machines. This constituted a logic of
machines in terms of velocity, simulation, time or memory. With this
the machines became the subjects and the humans their extensions.
However - the architecture of the protocol wasn't invented anew
rather it is simply a reshaping of the concept. Humanity and
technology simply changed places. The parts were shuffled, the roles
were exchanged, but the architecture of the protocol stayed the same.

V. But the result of the post-modern protocol

But the result of the post-modern protocol is not the disappearance
of humanity. Discussing the human subject as an address of a machine
is - in a specific and very interesting way - strengthening the idea
of something human, not dissolving it. The continuity between modern
theories of the autonomous subject and post-modern theories dealing
with the disappearance of it, is much stronger than we usually
believe. The reason for this: Post-modern media theory is built on
the idea, that we are already parts of machines -their addresses -
but as opposed to Donna Haraways concept of a cyborg, we do not
embrace the machine to become some kind of Mensch-Maschine-entity. In
the post-modern theory we stay human entities - but lost like the
humans in the movie Matrix, who are unaware that they live their
lives for machines, that have transformed them into dreaming power
stations.

By reducing technology to a 'technology of war' post-modern theories
enforce the division of technology and humanity. Kittler for example
is strengthening the relation of the typewriter to the revolver -
both were produced by the same company, Remington. Virilio is
analysing the technology of film as a war technology - the camera as
a visor to target the enemy. But we only need to collect the sort of
gadgets that form the centre of these theories. Nearly all of the
cameras, monitors, and computer games got analysed according to their
strong relations to the war. The post-modern media-theory is not
built upon toasters, hair-dryers or dishwashers. There are reasons
for that. The concept bases on the fundamental distinction of
technology and human, and it needs the war to work them out as
opponents.

But with this distinction it re-establishes the human as an entity
going under rather than vanishing like a face in the sand to become
something new. I would say this is a profound difference between so
called poststructuralist theories and post-modern ones: While the
post-modern ones were eager to get rid of the human subjects, the
poststructuralist theories - Foucault, Deleuze, Derrida - wanted to
overcome the concept of an independent autonomous subject as a
theoretical figure at all. While Derrida insists in his theory, that
writing, technology, art, pictures - all ideas of representation -
have these two meanings: to add something to the presence and to
replace it at the same time, post-modern theories of technology
support only the latter - and they got joined by the mainstream
discours.

The extension as a dangerous supplement - a monster again - that
threatens and replaces civilized humanity - the architecture of the
post-modern theory did engineer a suspicion towards technology, a
discourse of "Technikfeindlichkeit" - as we say in German. "What have
they been smoking?" asked Wired in 1997 regarding New York Times
reports that since the newspaper woke up to the Internet as a story
it only described the Net as a place of social pathology. "Hate
groups use Tools of the electronic Trade" March 13th, 95. "Attack of
the cyberthieves" July 23rd, 95. "Man charged with raping date he met
form E-Mail" Feburary 16th, 97. "A seductive drug culture flourishes
on the Internet" June 20th, 97.

These fundamental and threatening influences of technology are
produced by a post-modern protocol of fundamental difference, and
they are still an issue in the mainstream press of all western
nations. The computer or the Internet is treated like a dangerous
supplement, which is for example changing the child either into a
killer or into a suicidal person. While I was working on this text
mainstream press blamed - like many times before - his computer when
a German boy just recently committed suicide and did report his
purchase of a gun in a chat room for suicidals. An expert warns
parents after the TV-report: You must know that computers can be
addicting. They can change your child.  In other words: If you get
too close to technology you will loose your humanity. Society prefers
to shield behind technology instead of facing its social problems.

To keep the human subject tidy and shelter it from technology a whole
branch of automatic disciplination got invented. Content filter
technology like, for example, that of the international Internet
Content Rating Association. Now, if you open the Site of Big Brother
a window pops up and informs:
"Content Advisor. Sorry. Content Advisor will not allow you to see
this site. This page may contain some of all of the following: Nudity
Level 2 - Partial Nudity. Sex Level 2 - Clothed Sexual Touching.
Language Level 2 - Moderate expletives."
What is very interesting in this case is, that in our culture the
translation into language is obviously less dangerous than the image
itself. But of course language as well is disciplined and every
Eudora mail-program Version 5.1 indicates not only if an email
contains rude words, but warns you if you use them too. This is
nothing but "Reiterating the differences" on a technological level.
Again technical programs got produced by a discourse and as a result
we can watch live how technology is constituting well behaving humans.

VI. But let us stop for a moment

But let us stop for a moment and take a step back. We have to figure
out a résumé now, before we go on, before we pick up more things,
spin them differently, make the situation more complex and -
hopefully - finally clarify it.
Up to now we have seen two different protocols. We have seen the
modern protocol of technology as an extension of man. And we have
analysed the post-modern protocol of man as an extension of
technology. Technology as an extension of man, man as an extension of
technology - it seems that nothing could be more opposing and even
contradictory than these two assumptions. But we promised not to
trust anybody in the beginning and we won't start now. Do we really
have two opposing protocols? Are there no connections between them?
At least we have already spotted some turbulence in their theoretical
systems, so let's have another closer look.

Both develop the figure of an active subject that is appropriating a
passive object. Only the modern theory links the active subject to a
human widening its range via technology, while the postmodern theory
links the activity to a technology constituting the human. But does
the assumption of an extension of man necessarily have to be
envisioned as an appropriation of the human subject? Are there no
problems of migration?

Let us disregard the idea of a perfect integration and instead shift
the protocol of theory from an appropriation to an addition, from
being organized by an extension 'of' man to being organized by and
extension 'and' man. As a result we get a different relation between
man and technology. The principle stays the same:
In the concept of appropriation (1) as well as in the concept of
addition (2) technology expands the presence of the human subject.
But in the first example it is treated in the mode of continuity (1a)
as part of the subject (1b) while in the second example it is treated
in the mode of difference (2a) as an exterior (2b). The addition -
something additional - must be external, is an external spacing of
the subject. It is an external spacing of the subject, but it remains
being something different.

The consequences of this tiny shift towards a concept of addition are
both interesting and significant. The continuity that marked the
relation of technology in the model of appropriation - the perfect
integration - is replaced by the difference. It is this difference,
which binds the two together. With the model of addition structured
by difference we could actually find a connection to post-modern
theory. But again we have to consider a shift. Post-modern theory
links the activity of the technology to the constitution of the
human. But does the technology therefore necessarily have to be
hierarchical? Do we have to follow the myth of creation and link the
constitution of something necessarily to the active subject, which
produces the object? Do we really need an engineer? Again we exchange
a specific part of the protocol from constituting humanity by the
active subject technology (1) to constituting humanity by being its
other (2). Sounds a little bit cryptic, but let me explain. While in
the first concept technology is producing the human in a hierarchical
relation (1a) subject-bound (1b) in the mode of an creator and his
creation (1b) - like the typewriter producing the author - in the
second concept technology is constituting the human in the balanced
relation of difference (2a) by being its other (2b). This second
concept of difference rises on the assumption that there can never be
one without the other. Every constitution needs the trace of a
difference - difference is the condition for identification, for
identity, for unity, because one can only be identified
simultaneously with the other. Being - one concludes - is digital, at
least. Technology then is not anymore an active subject, producing
humanity. Technology is the formation of a difference. As the other
side of humanity and in its characteristic of being the other, it is
constituting the human. So technology constitutes a human subject by
being its imprint.

VII. But we do not have two theories
But we do not have two theories, which operate with the same terms,
share the attitude of their constellations and therefore step next to
each other. We do not have two different, two opposing opinions that
we smoothed, because we never really had two diverse points of views.
Their relation is complementary. Right from the beginning - and one
could analyse that even historically, I suppose - right from the
beginning both theories, the modern and the post-modern one, have
existed simultaneously.

The boundary between the human subject and technology is organized by
a double crossing, because technology is at the same time an external
spacing of the subject and the difference that constitutes it. It is
exactly this double crossing, the formation of the boundary, the
consistency of the "and", that marks the political zone of the
constellation. It can be applied not only to technology but to all
forms of extensions - copyright, property, memories, identities, data
and so forth. One could construct a differential typology of forms of
double crossings, but it would be the context of a form that would
define its political impact.
Exactly because of this Donna Haraway was right. Nothing these days
is more important than to take "pleasure in the confusion of
boundaries and (Š) responsibility in their construction".