geert lovink on Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:25:50 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Towards Cusco from Mariategui/R闤ler

From: "Nils R闤ler" <rfnr@hotmail.com>

Towards a Cusco-Manifesto

We need a warm-time-machine.

The Internet is becoming more and more a time-machine, that homogenizes
worldwide relations. We do believe that this needs a new warm input.
Today's input comes from a northwestern time-structure.  We do not question
single enterprises like the international space station, we want to build
our a time-space-station in Cusco.

Cusco is more than Venice.  It is not only a  nice counterpart of the world,
not only a system of channels, that is permanently overfludded by
international tourism, it is more and it is different. It is a compass for
ideas and a habitat to develop critical creativity.

Why? Because Cusco is a place in between: between inca-past and global
future.

Global future will be conditioned by electronic networks. The inca-past was
conditioned by a non-literal network. Today  Cusco is overfludded by
international tourists that do want to adventure the existing botanic jungle
and also the hidden jungle of precolumbian history. This history was not
written. Is was only interpreted by the writers of the western colonizers,
that did represent the Inca knowledge in a medium that is strange to its
individual structure. We will question this structure.

Our structure of approaching Cusco is the difference machine. The difference
machine starts to work, when different media techniques are in conflict.

Our warm-time-machine works with the energy of this conflict. Going towards
Cusco converts a hybrid energy.  McLuhan said that the artist is able to
realize how new media techniques will change common time-space-feeling.
Cusco is different. It enables to realize how networks in past and future
can merge together.

We do invite artists and scientists to use their insight into
timespace-architectures. We ask them to take examples of precolumbian work.
For us a a vase found in an inca tomb or corns of amaranth are not only
elements of a past tradition nice to gaze at. They are traces of another
time-space structure.

We do encourage artists to invest in a special stock market. We trade with
visual robbery and we do aks artists to rework and reflect the robbery of
western treasure-hunters.

This reflection will allow us to createt resources for the
warm-time-machine: to build step by step the Cusco Academy.