Shuddhabrata Sengupta on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:40:05 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] On the Events in New York, from New Delhi

Apologies for Cross Posting to those on the Sarai-Reader List and Spectre

A few thoughts about the images of the events of 11th september in New York,
and elsewhere.

Sitting in front of a New Delhi television, watching the destruction in
NewYork, the first thought/feeling that crosses the mind is that of the
solidarity of living in a time and place of danger. Day before yesterday it
was New York. Today it could be anywhere.

Everytime we walk into a cinema in New Delhi, the body search that precedes
entry marks each one of us as a potential walk-in detonator. Everyone is in
danger. Everyone is dangerous. The blurred identikit photgraphs of suspected
"terrorists" on police posters in the streetcorners of New Delhi that we have
grown accustomed to seeing over the past decade and a half could be my face,
your face, anyone's face.

The day the airplanes sought their target, was a day that television cameras
sought their targets too. On BBC world I saw repeated telecasts of a few
Palestinian boys, young men and one matronly looking woman flashing a V for
victory sign. The time that this footage go on our TV screens, was far
greater than the time that was given to randomly strung together images of
spokesmen of different Palestinian and/or Islamist   Groups disclaiming
responsibility.

If we were to stop in the middle of grief and outrage and think for a moment
about an economy of images then the importance of an image that says "these
are the kind of people that celebrate an act of terror at this scale" far
outweighed, the images that suggested that "people with Arabic or Persian
sounding names are as distressed by what has happenned". People with Arabic
or Persian sounding names live all over the world. They are neighbours,
colleagues, friends, relatives and lovers of all of us.

The planes sought and  found their targets. The cameras, the microphones, the
spin doctors are now seeking theirs. Perhaps, soon the world will find itself
being mobilized to fight a war that no one ever really realised the
implications of .

Once, in a far away and nearby country called Afghanistan, a whole generation
was armed to fight for something called 'freedom". Amongst those who acted as
the brokers of that war was one who is today 'freedom's' chief enemy. Osama
bin Laden was once flush with the guns and money of those who seek to hunt
him down today. It would be good to remember how easily and how flexibly the
leaders of the 'free world' permutate those who are heroes one day, villains
the next.

Once upon a not so distant time, the mujahideen, the taliban were hailed as
valiant men of faith fighting to keep the free world free. Today their
description reads differently.

As the cameras and the political pundits, in New York and In New Delhi,
grease the machinery of retribution and call for the war to end terror, (as
if war were anything but, terror itself writ large, and made legal) we,
living in this city, and in other cities close by, in Lahore, Peshawar,
elsewhere in South Asia, will find ourselves being dragged, inch by inch,
into the centre-stage of the theatre of another new war.

Perhaps those who rule us will fall in line, and scramble to be the scouts of
this new operation, perhaps they will make new deals or renew old ones. We
will watch the machine work. We will be the fuel.

What can be said at this time?

That, perhaps, the organization of people and the mobilization of images, to
defend or conquer  a territory - any territory - be it Afghanistan or
America, be it Kashmir or Kosovo, New York or New Delhi, will always rebound
back on people, both within that territory and elsewhere.

That the greater glory of nation states, and civilisations is always visited
upon ordinary people in the form of death. That all flages are shrouds.

All that I can say is that the sooner we jettison martyrs, suicide bombers,
generals, heroes, victims and presidents, the quicker, we can get on with our
lives. Flags, states and beliefs are besieging life. Everyone is in danger,
because everyone of us is imprisoned by passports, marked by the faiths we do
not understand and masked by the cloth of flags.

Each one of us is a target and anyone can be a flying or walking or sleeping
bomb.