McKenzie Wark on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:01:21 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] E is for Event

E is for Event
McKenzie Wark

Words fail the very event with which they tangle. It is in the nature of
disaster to defy representation. The abstract grazes the concrete and
vaporises on contact.

What we are witnessing, on our TV screens, our computer screens, is a weird
global media event. Like all such events, it appeared as if it came out of
nowhere. It took the media by surprise. The networks were reporting live on
an event before they even knew what the envelope of the event was.

As I write, we still don't know. There is no reliable information as to how
this event started, or how it will end. And still the networks keep pumping
out the information. As with all such events, the desire for information far
outstrips the ability to provide it. People cluster around screens and
newsfeeds, anxious for details that are not forthcoming. Endless repetitions
of the same video clips and endless speculation from supposed experts fill
the yawning gap between fact and appearance. CNN just goes live without
commentary. Images and sounds in search of a story.

The saturation of the media space and time spills over from broadcast media
into personal communication. The phone lines jam as people try to contact
loved ones. People use their internet communities to share words, mostly
heartfelt but futile, as a way of working through the surplus of emotions
that spills over from this weird global media event.

Weird global media event: It is an event because it is far outside the
routine of newsmaking. In news, the story always precedes the facts, and the
facts fit the story with the predictable tang of redundancy. It is a media
event because it instantly connects any and every vector of communication
together in a vast, irrational stew. Everything from financial data to
erotic emails twist toward the unfolding shape of the event. It is a global
media event because the vectors that snap into place create their own world.
(We are that world). Events of this kind are no respecters of scale or
boundaries. And it is a weird global media event because it is a pure
singularity. It does not quite fit any template. It is its own precedent. It
defies meaning. The truth of the event lies in what can't be said.

This is not an irony: I wrote about weird global media events in Virtual
Geography: Living With Global Media Events (Indiana University Press, 1994).
The examples in that book were Tiananmen square, the fall of the Berlin
Wall, the Gulf War and the 'Black Monday' stock market crash. I thought when
I wrote about these events that they would not be the last. I never expected
to be touched by a weird global media event personally.

New York is my home town. Like everyone connected to this most global city,
I spent the day trying to confirm that friends and family are safe. And they
are. But there are many people whose friends and family are not safe. My
proximity to loss makes me feel their genuine loss, in the very marrow of
what I cannot say for them or about them. Words lose their glamour. But
silence is not much of an option.

INDEX TO THIS FABULOUS WORLD
http://www.fineartforum.org/Backissues/Vol_15/faf_v15_n09/text/feature.html

http://www.feelergauge.net/projects/hackermanifesto/version_2.0/