chris christiaansz ungerer on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:32:33 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> It's the law!-Or is it the money?

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Ivo Skoric wrote:

> Bush daughters, caught twice for underaged drinking, got a clean
> record after doing 8 hours of community service, attending anti-
> drinking classes and paying $100 fine. $100 is nothing for them,
> but it might be a lot for somebody making $6 an hour...
>
> Again, this is just a silly, minor example of how the rule of law may
> convey injustice. It is this feeling of injustice and the feeling of
> helplessness to prevent that injustice, that breeds anger, rage and
> hate, and ultimately it breaks out in irreversible acts of horrific
> terrorism. It is true that Palestinians were and still are victims at
> the hands of the world. And the routes for them to obtain redress
> are clogged on purpose for a long time. So, for a quite a while they
> resort to terrorism, including suicidal terrorism.

<snip/>

> The war has never been that close to the U.S. since their
> Declaration of Independence.

Not quite true..

the white house, was burnt in 1814 by british troops -- yes folks, a
proper foreign invasion on u.s. soil -- in the war of 1812, and after some
repairs, painted white to cover up the scorch marks; hence: white house.

for the sake of convenience, let us not mention the war between the
northern states and the confederacy of 1861-5, a mayor war of the 19th
century, fought almost exclusively on american soil. excitingly, this war
brought us the first sinking of a ship by a submarine.

even more conveniently, i doubt if any charges will ever be laid in the
hague, relating to genocide and ethnic cleansing within the united states.
did someone mention native americans?

in short, dear ivo, the united states, like too many other places _has_
had its share of war since the declaration of independence (1776)
[incidentally issued _during_ the war of independence (april 1775
lexington - october 1781 yorktown].

the apparently forlorn hope for more acts of kindness and compassion and
fewer irreversible acts of desparation and revenge for all our futures
leads me to conclude that individual freedom will perhaps be even more
damaged than any building.

chris