integer on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 04:23:49 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] [ot] [!nt] \n2+0\ in the air. on + under water.

[u!l dze us.gov kare +? ne. = onl! sc!ent!ztz]

Pirates attack US research ship off Somalia

MARK SCHROPE

A US oceanography research ship has been attacked by pirates in the Gulf of Aden
‹ leading its managers to rethink their plans for studying
salinity flows in the region.

Unknown, heavily armed assailants pursued the Maurice Ewing research vessel in a
small boat for a harrowing 20 minutes in waters 30 kilometres off the coast of Somalia
on 31 August. No crew members were hurt and the ship was not damaged.

..

"I was frightened, and in a state of disbelief," says Amy Bower of Woods Hole, chief
scientist on the mission. "Although I was well aware that this was a region known for
piracy, I couldn't believe that our vessel would ever come under fire."