Mary-Lou Harding on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:33:49 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] (no subject)

I thought nettimers may be interested to read the personal mail I received
from my 21 year old sister who is an officer cadet in the (UK) Merchant
Navy. She was on an oil tanker in Iraqi waters when the US was attacked, she
sent this message (extract) on Tuesday night. I have not heard from her
since.
m-l

Hello,
I thought I would be getting a message from you in the light of what has
just happened. We were finishing loading when we heard the news, we left
early and are on our way out of the Gulf. We are sure the Gulf will be
closed off to all ships within the next 12 hours so we are going full speed
trying to get out. We don't want to be stuck here when it does close. It's a
bit scary at this end, there are a lot of U.S Navy war ships around and they
are all going a little bit nuts pulling ships over left right and centre
wanting to know who we are where we are going and what we are carrying, some
ships have been boarded by U.S Navy people carrying guns. I don't think they
will board us but we do have a couple of check points to go through as yet.
I reckon when we get to India we will stay there for quite along time, there
will be no way that they we will go back to the Gulf, if we do it will be
considered a war zone and we will have to be payed danger money. I will let
you know when I know what the movements of the ship is.
end of extract

mary-louise harding, assistant editor,
Music Business International (MBI)
Music Week Group
CMP Information
Ludgate House, 245 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 9UR
T: 44 (0)20 7579 4738
F 44 (0)20 7579 4011
mlharding@cmpinformation.com