Bruce Sterling on Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:13:54 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Attack Archive: Please suggest sites

------ Forwarded Message
From: Brewster Kahle <brewster@archive.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 07:48:59 -0700
To: archivists@yahoogroups.com
Cc: attackarchive@alexa.com
Subject: [archivists] Attack Archive:  Please suggest sites

Please help build a Web Archive of the Sept 11 Attack
---

The Internet Archive in collaboration with Alexa Internet, and SUNY, Library
of Congress and UWashington is archiving pages and sites relating to the
terrorist attacks in the NY and DC.   Where we are archiving sites and pages
all the time, we are concentrating the crawlers to make sure there is a
solid historical record of this time.

If you would like to help, we can build a better archive.    Here is how you
can help:

Suggest sites and pages to archive:

     *  This can be done by sending URL's to attackarchive@alexa.com
(this is a list of the crawl engineers at Alexa and the researchers at SUNY
and UW)

     *   Surf with the free Alexa Toolbar on.   Every night new sites and
pages are discovered by
processing the day's usage logs from the Alexa Toolbar.  These are sanitized
to eliminate cgi and other URL's that might contain personal information and
then those sites are crawled for the archive.

Help build a page in mid-October that will help guide people through
relevant materials.   This could be similar to the Election 2000 webpage
(http://archive.alexa.com), or something else completely.   We would like to
make this public at the end of October or early November.

Datamine the web archive to find past pages and sites that might be
relevant.    This takes programming skill and will be more difficult for
Alexa to support, but if you are interested, please write a proposal in the
web section of the www.archive.org site.

Thank you.    Please repost, but don't spam.

-brewster
Director, Internet Archive