Rick Prelinger on Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:29:22 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Web Archive of Sept. 11 Attack

Please forgive any repostings.

Rick Prelinger

From: Brewster Kahle <brewster@archive.org>
archivists-owner@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 07:48:59 -0700
Subject: [archivists] Attack Archive:  Please suggest sites

Please help build a Web Archive of the Sept 11 Attack

The Internet Archive in collaboration with Alexa Internet, and SUNY,
Library of Congress and UWashington is archiving pages and sites
relating to the terrorist attacks in the NY and DC.   Where we are
archiving sites and pages all the time, we are concentrating the
crawlers to make sure there is a solid historical record of this time.

If you would like to help, we can build a better archive.    Here is
how you can help:

Suggest sites and pages to archive:

      *  This can be done by sending URL's to attackarchive@alexa.com
(this is a list of the crawl engineers at Alexa and the researchers
at SUNY and UW)

      *   Surf with the free Alexa Toolbar on.   Every night new sites
and pages are discovered by
processing the day's usage logs from the Alexa Toolbar.  These are
sanitized to eliminate cgi and other URL's that might contain
personal information and then those sites are crawled for the archive.

Help build a page in mid-October that will help guide people through
relevant materials.   This could be similar to the Election 2000
webpage (http://archive.alexa.com), or something else completely.
We would like to make this public at the end of October or early
November.

Datamine the web archive to find past pages and sites that might be
relevant.    This takes programming skill and will be more difficult
for Alexa to support, but if you are interested, please write a
proposal in the web section of the www.archive.org site.

Thank you.    Please repost, but don't spam.

-brewster
Director, Internet Archive

--

Rick Prelinger