Ivo Skoric on Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:36:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Manhattan's Displaced Persons

A friend of mine, living to close to the destroyed area, lost his
apartment and a place of work, and is now, what observers of
Balkan wars aptly called: an internally displaced persons. A
refugee in his own city.

ivo

From:           	"Tomislav Novakovic" <feedthemonkey@msn.com>

Dear friends and family,

Last night, I was compelled to return to my neighborhood and was driven to
see more.  I think more than anything it was my own denial of how much has
changed and how enormous the consequences of these attacks have been.  For
some reason I was not satisfied with the images presented to me on a
television set with reporters giving their comments so freely and
speculating the next set of events.  I wanted to see with my own eyes.

On September 11th, two blocks from my apartment... I was awoken by my wife
Alejandra who screamed and looked out the window... we lived on the fourth
floor of a five story building... the windows face Park Place... one block
south is Barclay... and one more block the World Trade Center.  At first I
looked and thought an accident... some type of explosion... a gas leak
perhaps... but I quickly remembered that the World's Towers were under
attack in 1993 and my assistant Takuro Miyoshi, a Japanese national got his
video camera and started to tape the event.  What seemed like moments
later... the second plane hits the next tower.  Still inconcievable to all
of us... I summon Takuro back inside and the smoke... a thick black velvet
passing through the streets like the angel of death beckoning all to
recognize its face.  A few moments later and the smoke clears... we are all
in a deep panic and can now see that both towers are in ablaze.  Mass
hysteria on the streets as people try to outrun the thick ash that rains
upon them.  We turn on the television... my guest from Argentina, Marcela...
says the obvious... we're under attack.  But the words are necessary to
comprehend the unthinkable situation.  We all watch from the window.  My
wife says... what if they collapse... and Marcela rightfully so... responds
quickly.  No... those towers will burn but never fall.  Moments later... the
first tower collapses and we all freeze... the unthinkable has just become a
reality.  Now... we quickly gather some of our possessions and are ready to
leave... the north tower is too close and if it cracks it will surely crush
us if it falls in our direction... we know that and know that we must act
quickly.  We get to the door... all four of us... our bags in hand... and
suddenly just like the first tower... there is a grumbling... I rush
everyone into the bathroom... and we crouch to the floor.  A few moments
later and I rush to the window.  The second tower is no longer there.  The
deadly black smoke rushes through the streets once again.  I check the
windows to make sure they are closed.  There is fire... I watch the
televsion which repeats the images over and over.  But the dimensions don't
represent what we all saw.  Amazingly our telephone lines are still
functioning... we begin to call family and friends... I start to call
friends that live in the area... completely desperate to hear their voices.
Family calls... friends call... the phone is a life line in the turbulent
sea.  The calls are quick and basic... yes we are alive... next call... yes
we are alive.  This continues for a few hours.  I think we are all in a deep
state of shock.  We are paralyzed... we don't know where to go... what to
do.  Now... the phone lines are cut... and by five pm our electricity is
cut... we need to move.  I run down to the streets covering my face... the
fear of poison gas or chemical warfare.  No one knows... I open my front
door... the first thing I notice... is that the ash on the street is like
snow... only gray in color.  An officer sees me... and asks... what are you
doing in there... you need to get out now.  I tell him I have three people
upstairs and I will get them and then we will leave.  I try to stay as calm
as possible... I tell my wife, Marcela and Takuro... we need to leave... we
are being evacuated.  We get down to the street with our bags and still in a
daze walk north... the streets are blocked off by police.  Most of the
people are hurded to Reade Street which is four blocks north.  The police
hold people back... a great black cloud rises from the sight of the towers.
Everyone's face has dropped as if watching the latest special effects from a
Spielberg movie.  Of course at this point no one can process what has
happened.  Myself included.  I tell my wife to keep walking... she is in
shock and keeps looking back as if she were watching a movie.  The streets
filled with sirens and police officers.  Building number seven... to the
north of the towers... 47 stories high collapses... we hear the sounds of
collapse and we are quickly moving.

We walk up sixth avenue... and then cut across Bleeker... through the
village... very few people in the streets.  We have no idea where we will go
but I know we must continue walking north.  I try to keep focused and live
in the real world... not what I want to think.  My mind has played that
trick on me in the past.  The most simple elements that so many New Yorkers
have abandoned... the payphone is now a very valuable commodity.  Cell
phones are no longer working... there are lines of people waiting to make
phone calls.  We walk up Greenwich Street... a street that has mostly
industrial buildings... we have friends that live close to Times Square.
I'm afraid to take the subway... I do not want to go to a dark place... I do
not want to go underground.  I see a payphone and run... I pick it up and a
dial tone.  I realize that another friend is closer... living on Jane Street
in the village.  I call... Jorge picks up the phone and tells me to come
over.  I tell him I have three people with me.  He doesn't hesitate and
tells me to come right over.  We get there and my eyes rush to the
television.  From his window on the fifteenth floor with a sight of
downtown.  We see from a distance... the smoke and for the first time I
realize the towers are gone.  I try to stay calm.  I want to scream.

We stay up all night watching the news... and I think to myself.  When will
I be able to go back home.  I say to myself... again in denial... a few
days.  How ridiculous I think now.  I need some normalcy in my life... some
structure.  I'm a New Yorker... lived here for thirty years... this is my
city.  How could I be a refugee in my own city?  Impossible... in New York.
It's a nightmare.  After a day... I say to my wife that I will try to return
the next day and pick up some things.  I walk down with Takuro.  The only
documents I have with me are my marriage license... ok... my passport... but
nothing with my address downtown... Ok... but my name is on the marriage
license and my wife has a travel document from immigration services... a
federal entity.  This has our address on it at Murray Street.  It's a bit of
convincing... but it works.  I am through the first checkpoint on Houston
Street.  Again I am not used to checkpoints in New York City... no one is.
I walk west and then south to Canal Street.  Another checkpoint... no one is
allowed in.  I explain... after about 15 minutes I am allowed through.  I
get down to Chambers... and now I see the national guard... in military
fatigues.  They don't let us through... I walk to Church and the guards are
in shock really... and I walk through with a bunch on New York City police
officers.  We walk one block south and then one more and we are on my
corner.  Murray and Church... and I just look down the street... two more
blocks... and see the mangled steel of our towers.  I don't even think about
going down.  I rush with Takuro to the apartment... we are in darkness and I
use my little maglight attached to my keys.  We take some clothes and I load
my camera with film.  We go back downstairs to the streets... and we just
stand on the streets... I take photos of soldiers of firemen of construction
workers of emergency crews.  I take photos not because I want to remember...
but to record so I will believe in the reality of the image.  It all feels
like a bad dream.  Tears stream down Takuro's eyes... we both realize that
the toll in human devastation is going to be enormous.  My neighborhood has
now become a warzone.  They found one of the plane engines on my street.
It's too much.  We walk back to my friend's place in the village.

That night we sleep at a friend's place on 57th Street... my guest Marcela
stays in the village with Jorge.  Takuro stays with my friend Juan on the
lower east side.  We have separated... it sets in... everything has changed
now.  People walk in the streets with looks of shock on their faces.  It's
all unreal... not happening.  That night I fall asleep watching TV... the
images of the planes entering into the towers like a knife cutting into bars
of butter.  I am haunted.

The next day... I want to get closer.  I want my neighborhood back... I
decide to go alone... it's easier for onc person to negotiate the
checkpoints.  I leave at about six in the evening.  I get down to West 4th
Street with the train.  I get past the checkpoint at Houston Street.  Make
my way to the checkpoint at Canal Street.  The officer tells me no one is
allowed in.  I go to another checkpoint.  I ask another officer.  He says
the only way to get through is with a police escort.  There ae about twenty
people waiting to get in.  A lieutenant decides to let everyone in that can
prove they live in the area.  I make my way down to Chambers via Church
Street.  Now I am not allowed in... it's too dangerous.  The national guard
tell me to go home.  I double back and try to get past the checkpoint on
Greenwich and Chambers.  It's chaos.  The media are barricaded on the west
side of Greenwich and some hopeful tenants that want to get some possessions
on the east side of the street.  No hope of getting in... one by one... all
the tennants leave... I wait two and a half hours.  I watch the amount of
movement.  They are in full production... a military operation... food tents
are set up for the troops... evacuation crews... thousands of firemen and
polcie officers... FBI agents and lights set up for 24 hour visibility.  It
hits me... this is a war zone.  My neighborhood is the first target of a
very dirty war.  I decide to double back again... and this time two national
guardsmen check all my documents and with stern faces tell me that the only
way through is with those officers on the corner.  Suddenly a bus load of
officers dressed in black t-shirts and green pants are being unloaded at the
checkpoint.  The guardsmen are busy directing the wall to wall traffic of
trucks and cars.  I take a chance.  I slip between the police officers
getting off the busy and enter through the checkpoint... one more checkpoint
and I'm in.  I stay close to some of them and look as if I belong aside from
being dressed in shorts.  Last checkpoint... about ten soldiers... I try not
to make eye contact and I'm through... one block... Warren Street... next
block Murray... I quickly step aside... light a cigarette... and stand there
a moment.  I look down the street at the mangled steel and I am drawn by the
destruction.  I must see with my own eyes.  First I take out my flashlight
and go to the front door of my building and make my way up the stairs.  I
get my wife's thyroid medication... she hasn't taken them in two days... and
it's dangerous for her.  I get some clothes... and some of Marcela's
possessions.  I take one of Takuro's bags and I fill my backpack and
Takuro's leather bag.  I didn't bring my camera.  Takuro's camera is on his
desk... I search for film.  I only have black and white film... 20 photos.
I smoke another cigarette... load the film and I'm out.

I walk to Murray and Church and think for a moment... how far down could I
go... I decide to do it... I begin to walk and say to myself... if someone
stops me I'll leave.  I walk one block to Barclay and the next is Anne
Street... the beginning of the tower... thousands of workers... police
officers... emergency rescue teams with dogs... FBI... heavy machinery...
and one part of the tower maybe ten stories high... impaled into the street
like an arrow.  Nothing like television... nothing that fits into this neat
little box with remote control.  No... the dimensions are enormous... and I
can't even recognize where the towers once stood.  They are charred like
barbecue grills.  Many workers take photos from time to time... officers do
the same... even the soldiers.  So I move right to the middle of ground zero
and standing between all of the chaos and destruction begin to take photos.
I see the surroundings and I now see what war is...this is war... this is
hate... this is destruction... this is sadness... this is not real... I
think the numbers they give those poor family members who are looking in
hospitals and shelters for their loved ones.  I speak to a police captain...
all the police know the real numbers.  I say something like why do they say
5000 missing on television... and he says little by little... maybe people
will never get a real number... but he assures me that the number is close
to 50,0000.  This is a number that America can not imagine... this is a
number that threatens our acceptance of what has just happened.  I look
through the wreck and say to myself... and feel... no survivors... bodies
will never be found because of disintegration.  One of the workers tells me
that all day long... they find body parts... but not whole bodies.  He says
he has nightmares... he says he wasn't prepared.  I don't think anyone is
prepared for something like this.  I saty for about 45 minutes... and I take
photos... I am at ground zero... I know... I didn't trust the images on the
tv... they don't have the same impact... but I trusted my eyes.  And now I
know my life has changed forever and the life of my family and friends.  I
know I am homeless... I know that it will be months before I am allowed to
return... I know that I can no longer support my family like before...
everything I did and made in terms of income came from the home we've built
on Murray Street... my acting classes... my art gallery shows... people knew
our place as a safe place to express their emotions... and now we don't feel
safe.  We are all affected in ways that we can only experience in our own
times.  I realized that when I stood at Ground Zero... and saw soldiers
marching though... putting up tents... and paroling the area... the streets
no longer looked like the streets of New York City... they were full of dirt
and ash... This is not the New York I once knew... this is Sarajevo... this
is Kosovo... this is Israel... this is Palestine... this is Rawanda... we
are all the same now... we are all Americans... we are all at Ground Zero...
and I know that rebuilding lives will be difficult... but I know that I can
only fill my life with the love of family... and the greatest friends from
all over the world that have worried about my wife and me.  Now... I am not
afraid to cry... not just for me... but for all those families that have had
knives plunged into their hearts and are still hoping where hope does not
exist... I cry because when they know the truth they will feel great pain...
they will all have to start over again... they will all have bad dreams...
they will all remember... they will all become brothers and sisters... they
will all start from Ground Zero.

Dedicated to all the families of the victims of Ground Zero World Trade
Center.

September 11th 20001   A day that has changed us all.

Dear friends and family... we love you all and we are greatful to be
alive... I will never be able to deny that life is precious and as a
survivor... which only today I realized I could call myself I tell you this
story.

Please email this to the ones you love and share life.

With much love and appreciation to all the wonderful people I've been
blessed to have in my life.

Tomislav Novakovic
feedthemonkey@msn.com
212-332-0928

PS  Please contact me via email or the phone number above.  Home phone not
for months.

Also... Love from Alejandra, Takuro and Marcela