Paul D. Miller on Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:22:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] resending.... from hypertext to codework

Hey Ken -
1) Artaud - relatively decent Artaud sites:
http://www.hydra.umn.edu/artaud/ab.html

http://www.antoninartaud.org/home.html

and the Artaud reference can be found in the "Theater and It's
Double" at the beginning of the section entitled "The Theater and its
Shadow"

around p.49 in the edition I have "la realite virtuelle" - 1938....
in the section called the "theater and it's shadow" or something like
that... the original context was that humans were inundated with life
as symbolic reality... both me and Erik Davis deal with this in our
respective writings on the topic.

2) There's plenty of room for figuring out how Walter Ong's ideas of
orality and text flow together, his book "Orality and Literacy: the
Technologizing of the Word"  remains a pretty good glimpse into how
words became "the noetic navigation of places" - but words assign
place and meaning on-line, but in the world of stuff like Amos
Tutualoa or John Lee (the black hacker on the cover of Wired a long
time ago who was into the whole language as cipher-text etc etc his
crew was called "The Masters of Deception"), it'd be nifty to figure
out on how mantras etc etc fit into this too....

3) your idea that "everything Alan does is a proposition on how to
read..." - well, yep, but again, it's the permutations of the process
that make reading him interesting. Otherwise, no disrespect to Alan,
it'd be like listening to the same beat over and over and over...
even the linguistic origins of jazz (from the French verb "jazzer" -
which means to "have a dialog") - still pertains to what you spoke
about.Some of this relates basically as the "lowest common
denominator" kind of scenario to the "sequencing/spatializing" of the
word that Ong deals with, but again, there's plenty of stuff like
that in electronic music at this point... There's a couple of great
treatments of that topic in Robert Farris Thompson's classic "Flash
of the Spirit"...

4) yep, I agree about mixing styles and genres... in academia, there
are rules and regulations about this kind of thing - and keeping the
boundaries between "zones" in this day and age is getting more and
more problematic, but I have a feeling the next generation of folks
will all look at this kind of thing as a video game or hypertext of a
kind of collaborative filtering or something... if you still have
that article around (the one on language and whatnot with henry louis
gates etc etc) we're still working on getting 21C started up - I've
been travelling alot, and that's slowed things down..... Let me know
if you'd be into re-publishing it or something. I'm going to set up
the web version of the magazine first and deal with the print in a
little bit (www.21cmagazine.com is up and running, but again, there's
only 24 hours in the day... I have a decent amount of articles from
various folks, but I need about two weeks of down-time - which I'm
taking in mid-October - to finalize everything... more on that in a
bit)
okay,
peace from Florida
Paul

>Thanks to Paul for
>his remarks, but i
>think, as they say,
>that
>i want to break it
>down...
>
>  >the problem with
>the digital media
>scene - it is
>SUPER
>  > WHITEBREAD -
>there is alot more
>going on....
>Yes, but when it
>comes to entities
>like antiorp or
>jodi, is it
>all that useful to
>pose things in
>this old
>identity-bound
>language?
>
>  >think about
>precedents for
>theater and
>spectacle outside
>of the >normal
>discourse that
>goes on...
>Yes, but i don't
>quite have the
>freedom of
>movement that
>you
>do, Paul. As an
>artist, you can cut
>and mix in a way
>that one can't
>in scholarship. Its
>not the medium,
>its the genre.
>
>  >this is a Mcluhan
>refraction of the
>old inner
>  > ear/eye thing,
>but with a little bit
>more of a
>technical twist.
>Always been
>skeptical about
>that aspect of
>McLuhan, but I
>think Ong is
>useful here. He
>talks of
>'secondary orality',
>which
>is the orality that
>arises within a
>literate culture,
>but i think
>there is also now
>a 'secondary
>literacy', the
>literacy that arises
>within an
>electro-oral
>world....
>
>  > Artaud  was the
>fellow who
>invented the term
>"virtual reality"
>Oh really?
>Where? [scholar
>mode] "We must
>awaken the Gods
>that sleep in
>museums." Yes,
>Artaud is a good
>handle for
> [...]

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Subliminal Kid Inc.

Office Mailing Address:

Music and Art Management
245 w14th st #2RC NY NY