Ivo Skoric on Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] New flight rules

Connected to the Bush's speech urging people to fly, I received a
few things.

First was a suggestion of a new ad for American Airlines (we are
flying directly into your office...) and second was this story (which I
have no way of proving or disproving):

Fwd:

      I just wanted to drop you all a note and let you know that I
arrived safe and sound into Dulles Airport tonight at about 6:00. It
was an interesting  flight.  The airport in Denver was almost
spooky, it was so empty and quiet. No one was in line for the
security check point when I got there so that went fairly quickly,
just x-ray of my bags and then a chemical test to be sure nothing
explosive was on them. Then I waited 2 1/2 hours to board the
plane.  What happened after we boarded was interesting and
thought I would share it with you.

      The pilot/captain came on the loudspeaker after the doors were
closed. His speech went like this: First I want to thank you for
being brave enough to fly today. The doors are now closed and we
have no help from the outside for any problems that might occur
inside this plane. As you could tell when you checked in,
the government has made some changes to increase security in the
airports.
They have not, however, made any rules about what happens after
those doors close. Until they do that, we have made our own rules
and I want to share them with you.
      Once those doors close, we only have each other. The security
has taken care of a threat like guns with all of the increased
scanning, etc.
Then we have the supposed bomb. If you have a bomb, there is no
need to tell me about it, or anyone else on this plane; you are
already in control.
So, for this flight, there are no bombs that exist on this plane.
      Now, the threats that are left are things like plastics, wood,
knives, and other weapons that can be made or things like that
which can be used as weapons. Here is our plan and our rules. If
someone or several people stand up and say they are hijacking
this plane, I want you all to stand up together. Then take whatever
you have available to you and throw it at them.
Throw it at their faces and heads so they will have to raise their
hands to protect themselves. The very best protection you have
against knives are the pillows and blankets. Whoever is close to
these people should then try to get a blanket over their head--then
they won't be able to see. Once that is done, get them down and
keep them there. Do not let them up. I will then land the plane at
the closest place and we WILL take care of them. After
all, there are usually only a few of them and we are 200+ strong!
We will not allow them to take over this plane.
      I find it interesting that the US Constitution begins with the
words "We, the people"--that's who we are, THE people and we will
not be defeated.

      With that, the passengers on the plane all began to applaud,
people had tears in their eyes, and we began the trip toward the
runway.

      The flight attendant then began the safety speech. One of the
things she said is that we are all so busy and live our lives at such
a fast pace.
She asked that everyone turn to their neighbors on either side and
introduce themselves, tell each other something about your
families and children, show pictures, whatever.  She said "for
today, we consider you family. We will treat you as such and ask
that you do the same with us."
      Throughout the flight we learned that for the crew, this was their
first flight since Tuesday's tragedies. It was a day that everyone
leaned on each other and together everyone was stronger than any
one person alone.
It was quite an experience.

      You can imagine the feeling when that plane touched down at
Dulles and we heard "welcome to Washington Dulles Airport,
where the local time is 5:40".

      Again, the cabin was filled with applause.