R. A. Hettinga on Sat, 29 Sep 2001 15:30:44 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Sudan Bank Hacked, Bin Laden Info Found

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:50:45 -0700
To: "The Eristocracy" <Eristocracy@merrymeet.com>
From: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Subject: Sudan Bank Hacked, Bin Laden Info Found
Sender: <Eristocracy@merrymeet.com>
 <mailto:majordomo@merrymeet.com?subject=subscribe%20Eristocracy>

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170588.html

Sudan Bank Hacked, Bin Laden Info Found - Hacker

E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Version
By Ned Stafford, Newsbytes
MUNICH, GERMANY,
27 Sep 2001, 2:46 PM CST
 A group of U.K.-based hackers has cracked computers at the AlShamal
Islamic Bank in Sudan and collected data on the accounts of the Al Qaeda
terrorist organization and its leader Osama bin Laden, Kim Schmitz, a
flamboyant German hacker/businessman, has claimed.

Schmitz, who has offered a $10 million reward for the capture of bin Laden,
told Newsbytes that the information has been turned over to the FBI. Bin
Laden, a millionaire Saudi exile whose base is now Afghanistan, is
suspected of being the driving force behind the deadly Sept. 11 attacks on
the World Trade Center and the Pentagon with hijacked planes.

Newsbytes could not confirm Schmitz's claim. An FBI spokesman in Washington
declined to confirm or deny the story, saying that the agency's policy is
not to comment on information and leads it is receiving.

"We have received a lot of information on this case," he told Newsbytes.
"Of course we appreciate the leads we are receiving from the public, but we
cannot confirm what specific information has been provided to us or by
whom."

Schmitz, 27, a former teen hacking prodigy who spent time behind bars
before starting a successful data security business, has been accused of
being press hungry. He says his recent strong anti-terrorism pronouncements
are not a PR prank, but stem from his strong desire to wipe out terrorism.
He says he has received death threats from the Middle East.

The bank Schmitz claimed was hacked was mentioned Wednesday by Sen. Carl
Levin, D-Mich. during a Senate Banking Committee hearing. According to CNN,
Levin referred to a 1996 State Department report that said bin Laden had
provided the AlShamal Islamic Bank with $50 million in start-up capital.

Schmitz told Newsbytes that he could not provide details about what hackers
found in AlShamal Islamic Bank's computers or about the hackers themselves.

Nonetheless, he provided Newsbytes with the following outline of what he
says happened.

Last week, Schmitz, who lives in Munich, posted letters on his Web site
rallying politicians to the cause of fighting terrorism and offering his
hacking expertise.

"I received plenty of e-mails from hackers around the world offering their
services," he said.

Schmitz founded a group that numbers around 23 hackers called "Young
Intelligent Hackers Against Terror." He calls the group YIHAT, which is
similar to the word Jihad, which is Arabic for Holy War.

Schmitz said that last Friday, a Sudanese banker sent the group an e-mail
after reading about the $10 million reward, informing the group that Al
Qaeda and bin Laden have accounts at AlShamal Islamic Bank.

A team of U.K.-based hackers sprang into action, and hacked the nameserver
of AlShamal Islamic Bank, he said. They were able to gain access to the
bank's intranet by exploiting a "checkpoint firewall 1 vulnerability," he
explained.

After bypassing the firewall, the hackers achieved "superuser" status on
the server, and "sniffed" eight valid user IDs, and then were able to
collect information on accounts of Al Qaeda and bin Laden.

"This information was sent to the authorities in the USA," Schmitz said.

Schmitz sent the following e-mail to the Webmaster at the AlShamal Islamic
Bank:

"dear webmaster of sudans shamalbank,

"your bank has been hacked. information regarding Al Qaeda's and bin Ladens
accounts have been captured. all information reached the US authorities.
thanks for using products from checkpoint (firewall1).

"have a nice day, Kim "Kimble" Schmitz, Founder of "Young Intelligent
Hackers Against Terror" YIHAT"

When asked which authorities received the information from the hackers,
Schmitz said: "FBI."

He said that authorities had not given the hackers a "green light" to
undertake the hacking, that the group had done so on its own initiative.

Schmitz said the U.K.-based hackers wish to remain anonymous.

"I am the spokesperson of the group," he said. "They don't want to be
involved with the press. What they do is illegal, unless we find a
government that legalizes our activities."

And somewhat mysteriously, he added: "If I would deliver details about the
hacks, I could get arrested. I am not hacking myself, because that is
illegal. I must keep myself out of the details to make sure that I am still
able to offer them the communication platform they need to fight as united
hackers of the world against terror."

AlShamal Islamic Bank Home Page: http://www.shamalbank.com/

Kim Schmitz's Personal Web Site: http://www.kimble.org/

Schmitz Letter to governments around the world:
http://www.kimble.org/urgent.htm

Schmitz Reward For Osama Bin Laden: http://www.kimble.org./mostwanted.htm

Reported by Newsbytes.com, http://www.newsbytes.com .

14:46 CST
Reposted 15:03 CST

(20010927/WIRES TOP, ONLINE, LEGAL, BUSINESS/)

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

--- end forwarded text

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>