cisler on Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:49:56 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Steven Levy: Tech's Double-Edged Sword

Please keep in mind that news magazines favor journalists who can put things
into a clear (or black and white perspective). Most of them will not carry
long articles addressing every part of the issue.  Binary treatments of
complex issues have been standard. this includes politics and certainly
technology. Look at the discourse on the "digital divide."

As for the history of science and technology (not just philosophy) it has
been taught for quite a while.  The one academic I know, Langdon Winner, has
a long and respected body of work, but he is rather marginalized at the
present in his current job.

Another group, the Jacques Ellul Society, comprised of many techno-skeptics,
is not that active and by their very nature, does not favor the Internet as
a medium of exchange.

Steve Cisler

> From: "geert lovink" <geert@xs4all.nl>
> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:15:12 +1000
> To: <nettime-l@bbs.thing.net>
> Subject: <nettime> Steven Levy: Tech's Double-Edged Sword
>
> What do nettimers think of the double-edged sword theory? The 'discovery'
> that evil forces also use technology can hardly be called new.

 I read