Beatrice Beaubien on Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:57:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: [Nettime-bold] Conflict Will Follow Taliban's Fall

Dear John,

Any place where children throw themselves under buses as a form of supporting the family indicates a lack of options. (the child's guardian would then bribe the driver); for millennia the path through the Hindu Kush has been a journey into a tough survivalist ethos.

I found the StratFor report fascinating, particularly as it previously wasn't clear to me why blocking access through Afghanistan was strategically important to so many factions outside the country.

Thanks.

Biti

>[Or, get ready for 'Vietnam: The Sequel'?. John.]
>------
>http://www.stratfor.com/home/0110091630.htm
>
>Conflict Will Follow Taliban's Fall
>1630 GMT, 011009
>
>Summary
>
>The United States has begun its military campaign in
>Afghanistan without first forging a post-Taliban
>regime. Although opposition forces will take
>advantage of U.S. air strikes to attempt to drive the
>Taliban from power, this will only usher in another
>round of fighting among the victors. Because the
>United States needs a friendly and stable regime in
>Kabul to facilitate its primary mission of rooting out
>Osama bin Laden and his Afghan Arabs, it will find

/snip