Ivo Skoric on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:21:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] (Fwd) At war with NATO

Under the IHL, World Trade Center could not be a legitimate
military objective - even if it was hit by a missile in the middle of the
 night - because it was in the middle of highly populated area,
where civilian death was virtually inavoidable. But in the same
sense the TV building in Belgrade hit by US missiles was not a
legitimate military objective, was it? Civilians died, too. We shall
see, though, how the case about that would play out in the
European Court of Human Rights in Strassbourg. At least,
Americans hit the RTS building in off-hours, during the night, and
with an unmanned cruise missile - not with a Serbian airliner full of
unsuspecting Serbian citizens. By hitting the towers at the
beginning of the work day and with passenger airliners full of
passengers, Al Qaeda obviously showed us that they didn't give a
flying shit for the IHL, didn't they?
ivo