Ricardo Miranda on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:43:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] A 21st Century Self-Portrait

Hello nettime, the following is a cut-out from a review on a recently
launched data-based self-portrait by artist Brooke Singer.

Check out the review at theSpleen's culture column "ni de aqui, ni de
alla":
http://www.thespleen.com

and investigate the self-portrait at Singer's:
http://www.bsing.net/

Derived from the tradition of Western painting, the portrait was once
used solely by the aristocracy to display an individual's wealth and
power, in Self-Portrait (v2.0) Brooke Singer updates the self-portrait
to the information age. In an age when our data-selves may carry more
significance than our real, blood-pumping and breathing selves, Singer
has thoroughly investigated various databases that construct her
data-self to assemble a beautifully crafted application...  By publicly
revealing her data-self, Singer turns the user into a data-voyeur while
giving the user a glance at the sort of data that exist within the
Internet in relation to each one of us.

"My project explores to what extent we are accessible online and what we
may look like through mining digital data... What results is a
reconstruction of the self after it has been digitized, analyzed, shared
and sold."  -- Singer

Ricardo Miranda