Ivo Skoric on Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:25:04 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: MW-10 & 'Racial Profiling' and Terrorism and the face of anthrax

Miroslav asks:
"How many white men were questioned before the nailed Tim?"

My answer:
Not enough! And the anthrax may be from domestic origins! Don't
you remember the Larry Wayne Harris (his white face attached to
this message) case? Check this out:

Meanwhile, it sucks to be a young, male and Arab these days in
Texas, doesn't it?

But the example of Israeli-Arab solidarity at the bottom of the
following article is quite touching. It opens new roads to conflict
resolution between them: just put them in the US prison together!

-/-

DETAINEES FACE RIGHTS VIOLATIONS
In the nation's jails, some of the 700 detained in the sweep
following the Sept. 11 attacks endure beatings, are denied
access to lawyers and otherwise deprived of their rights,
according to attorneys and civil rights organizations, the Los
Angeles Times reported Oct. 15.

It is unlikely any of the detainees played a role in the 9-11
attacks, and officials admit only a few are linked to the
investigation. The vast majority were arrested on visa violations
or minor local charges, and would normally have been released
by now. But the government is holding them under emergency
anti-terrorist powers. Writes the LA Times: "Because of the
extraordinary level of secrecy surrounding the investigation, it is
impossible to determine how many individuals may have been
mistreated. Federal authorities refuse to disclose even the
number of people in custody... The Times contacted more than
20 defense lawyers and civil rights monitors. In every case, the
lawyers complained that their clients were being held too long
and, almost always, said their clients had suffered some kind of
mistreatment or undue hardship."

In Texas, a Saudi Arabian man was deprived of a mattress,
blanket and a clock to let him know when to recite his prayers,
his lawyer says. In Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana, immigration
officials cut off all lawyer visits and phone calls for detainees the
week following the attacks--a directive authorities now say was
mishandled.

Dennis Clare, a lawyer in Louisville, Ky., said 40 men from
Mauritania were picked up near Cincinnati on immigration
violations two weeks after Sept. 11. Authorities targeted the
group because one supposedly was a pilot. Three are still being
held, and have been moved several times to jails in Indiana,
Kentucky, Tennessee and Louisiana.  "They don't speak
English," Clare said. "They are begging to get out of jail."

Hasnain Javed, 20, a Pakistani student who was picked up
Sept. 19 at the bus station in Mobile, Ala., on his way back to
New York from Houston, was repeatedly beaten by inmates at
the county jail in Wiggins, MS, which houses INS detainees
under a federal contract. He says guards ignored his pleas for
help, and has suffered a chipped tooth and partial hearing loss in
one ear. Released after three days in custody, he told the LA
Times: "I did not do anything and I don't think anyone had a right
to treat me the way I was treated." Stone County Sheriff Mike
Ballard, who runs the Wiggins jail, insisted "we did everything
we could do" to help Javed, and claimed he "was making
derogatory comments about the United States." The FBI is
investigating the incident.

Egyptian immigrant Mohammed Maddy, a ticket-taker at New
York's Kennedy Airport, was picked up Oct. 3 and charged
with sneaking his wife and children past security there.  At a
federal detention hearing, his attorney, Justine Harris,
complained Maddy was injured by guards at Brooklyn's
Metropolitan Detention Center: "The defendant showed me a
very large bruise which he has on the upper part of his arm,
which he claims was a result of mistreatment by the guards."

The Washington Post reported Oct. 16, "an unknown number of
men with Middle Eastern names are being held in solitary
confinement" at Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional Center,
"locked in 8-by-10-foot cells with little more than cots, thin
blankets and, if they request it, copies of the Koran... They have
no contact with each other or their families and limited access to
their lawyers. Their names appear on no federal jail log available
to the public. No records can be found in any court docket in
New York showing why they are detained, who represents them
or the status of their cases." Asked American Civil Liberties
Union legal director Steven Shapiro: "How many are being held?
On what basis? What kind of judicial review is available?"

Yazeed Al-Salmi, 23, a Saudi student who missed three weeks
of school and was evicted from his San Diego apartment during
his 17-day detention, called the experience terrifying. "They
don't call you by name... They call you [expletive] terrorist," he
said of guards at the Manhattan facility. Al-Salmi was released
after testifying for two hours before a federal grand jury on his
encounters with one 9-11 hijacker. Attorney General John
Ashcroft told ABC's "Nightline" the government's actions are
"consistent with the framework of law that we operate under."

ISRAELIS DETAINED WITH ARABS IN ANTI-TERROR
SWEEP
Five young Israelis detained by the FBI Sept. 11 are still being
held in Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Center. The men
were picked up at 6 PM in a van on the George Washington
Bridge, and the incident may have been the source of
widespread but false New York media reports that evening that
a bomb had been found on the bridge. The incident was sparked
when a New Jersey woman called police to report a group of
men standing on top of a van near the bridge "speaking in a
foreign language and hugging each other," reported New York's
Jewish weekly, The Forward,  Oct. 19. The paper quoted Ido
Aharoni of the
Israeli consulate saying they were hugging each other in grief, not jubilation.
"Obviously, they have nothing to do with the bombing... I think it was just a
tragic combination of miscommunication and awkward
coincidence." The men, aged 20 through 27, worked for a local
moving company, and are being held on visa violations. Their
attorney, Steven Gordon, protested that they have been
subjected to blindfolding, forced polygraph tests and a blackout
of information on their rights. He also said non-Muslim inmates
"physically threatened" them after Muslim prisoners pressured
them to join in a hunger strike.

ivo