Peter Kaminski on Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:32:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Chilling Example of Curtailment of Civil Rightsunder Fast Track legislation

Dimitri Devyatkin writes,

>It looks like fascism has really come to America.

Fascism, or paranoia?

Before jumping to a conclusion, please read also a report of the incident
in the Bangor Daily News, in which "one law enforcement source said...
[Oden's] name is unknown to the FBI" and Oden was reported to be
"uncooperative" during the screening process at Bangor International
<http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=44958>.

Oden *was* apparently flagged by the Computer Assisted Passenger Screening
(CAPS) system for additional screening, but she may very well have been
chosen at random.

CAPS chooses passengers for additional screening based on screening factors
*or* at random, with the intent of providing additional deterrence and
fairness to the system.  CAPS does not inform the screening staff whether
the selection was based on the screening factors or random
selection, so the staff there would not have been able to explain to Oden
why she was selected.

Many, many people in the US have faced grave inconveniences since September
11.  Middle Eastern immigrants and American Sikhs have been killed because
they look like terrorists to American eyes.  Entire planeloads of people
have been detained, decontaminated, or flights cancelled or diverted, for
reasons as absurd as spilled sugar or greeting card confetti.

In this context, it is difficult to see that one person's scuffle with
airport security -- at Bangor International, no less, one of the airports
that the terrorists may have travelled through on their way to kill
thousands -- adds up to a government conspiracy.

I have no agenda besides seeking the truth.  Before September 11th, I could
have seen Oden's experience as extreme; after September 11th, I see it as
unfortunate, but also entirely unremarkable in context.

I call on Oden and Green Party USA to comport themselves responsibly and to
substantiate their claim that Oden was singled out because of her
affiliation, and not at random, and to provide evidence of additional
systematic obstruction of their party, before crying wolf.

--
Peter Kaminski
weblog: <http://www.istori.com/log>