geert lovink on Wed, 7 Nov 2001 07:05:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Loka Alert: E.F. SCHUMACHER: A RETROSPECT

From: <Loka@Loka.org>
Subject: E.F. SCHUMACHER: A RETROSPECT (Loka Alert 8:6)

Loka Alert 8:6
November 1, 2001

                  E.F. Schumacher: A Retrospect and
                 Reflection After September 11, 2001
                          By Bruce Piasecki

   When E.F.Schumacher visited the Cornell University (Ithaca, NY)
campus in the late l970s, he made a strange request. He wanted to
speak at Sage Chapel, the old red stone brick sanctuary, not far from
the equally odd and submerged Cornell campus bookstore. Sage at the
time was seldom frequented by students, let alone the future business
leaders that needed to hear his words. I protested mildly, as the
precocious undergraduate who first invited this past chair of the
British Coal Board during World War II to campus, but he prevailed.
To my surprise, the Chapel was full, and the master was at his prime.
I left that cool Fall night feeling changed. Everything Schumacher
said, from his critique of centralized power systems, to his love of
the poor, sounded right to me. Little did I know how right.

   The next week I wrote my first published book review, a
glorification of _Small Is Beautiful_.  I still appreciate the power
and grace of his mind, and the lasting value and good sense of this
classic text in appropriate technology, world affairs, and the logic
and need for properly scaled organizations and programs. I picked up
_Small Is Beautiful_ again after the horrific terrorist attacks of
September 11, and found both solace and insight in those pages now
first shared in l973.

   Across time, E.F.Schumacher has influenced directly the likes of
Amory Lovins, whose l979 classic on decoupling energy consumption and
GNP, can now be seen as the first child of consequence following
Schumacher. I can see the fingerprints of Schumacher, for instance,
in the new book by my friend and colleague Peter Asmus, whose
_Reaping the Wind_ (Island Press, 2001) verifies why wind turbines
are a small but powerful instance of distributed power now available
at the right price in the right locations across the globe. It is
hard, in short, to visit the public affairs or environmental ethics
sections of most bookstores without seeing this large shadow of
Schumacher on the shelf of both doers and thinkers.

   What follows itemizes how the work of E.F.Schumacher has shaped
the last three decades. As I was asked to write this with reference
to how Schumacher influences my own books and consulting practice,
please forgive the occasional notation on how this master in word and
deed also redirected and focused my topics of concern. Just as
another late 20th Century creative force Federico Fellini showed me
how a corporate meeting can have the feel of a circus in its
recurrent mixture of dramatic technique, precision, and
improvisation, _Small Is Beautiful_ in particular, and the works and
arguments of E.F. Schumacher in general, have helped me choose my
battles and arguments. He set the table, upon which many of us still
feast.

TELLING THE TRUTH

   Schumacher had that rare gift of telling the truth. Note the
astonishing lack of high or distracting rhetoric in these now classic
claims:

1. "The future cannot be forecast, but it can be explored" (page 226,
in the chapter exploding the myths of economic predictability
called "A Machine to Foretell the Future?")

2. "To talk about the future is useful only if it leads to action
now." (page l9, in his still stunning critique of modern
manufacturing called "The Problem of Production")

3. "The technology of mass production is inherently violent,
ecologically damaging, self-defeating in terms of non-renewable
resources, and stultifying for the human person. The technology of
production by the masses, making use of the best knowledge and
experience, is conductive to decentralization, compatible with the
laws of ecology, gentle in its use of scare resources, and designed
to serve the human person instead of making him the servant of
machines. I have named it intermediate technology to signify that it
is vastly superior to the primitive technology of bygone ages but at
the same time much simpler, cheaper, and freer than the super
technology of the rich." (page l45, from the now classic
chapter "Technology with a Human Face")

   You can see Schumacher's redemptive imagination at work in the
phrase "designed to serve the human person", but you can also sense,
even in these short excerpts, the bold simplicity and strong
authenticity of his work. The entire book, all 271 pages of it, feel
to me like the conversations I have with my wife and best friends on
the way down from a long luxurious Adirondack high peaks hike. After
all the huffing and puffing that gets us up the mountain, when the
limbs are warm and exercised, a bold plainness embraces our speech.
Certainly any good book is rehearsed and refined, more like a fine
speech by former U.S. President Abe Lincoln than a out in the woods
talk, but the grandness in the style and vision of Schumacher is its
experienced plainness. Let's look a little closer at this disarming
honesty.

   During the late l980s, after finishing two books on hazardous
waste management in Europe and the United States, I decided that I
was writing in black and white, books that were too technical and
legalistic. In reviewing _Small is Beautiful_, among others, I
decided, with the help of a new literary agent, to try my hand in
color.  Most of us know that trying to write about social and
ecological problems in color is counterintuitive. It is not easy, at
least for me, to transcend the inherently legal and technical
densities of the subject matter, from alternatives to the land
disposal of chlorinated hydrocarbons to the competing computer models
now defining our best options regarding CO2 and other greenhouse gas
magnifiers like SF6.

   At the time, I was also reading a great deal of the Scottish
writer Lord Macaulay, a frequent contributor of literary essays to
the _Edinburgh Review_ in the l820s to the l840s. As I combed thru
Macaulay's forty pages on Machiavelli or his one hundred and twenty
four pages on the short amazing life of Lord Byron, I was reminded of
how segmented my thinking had become regarding social problems. I was
falling prey to the common modern conceptual allergy. If I couldn't
count it, I couldn't comment on it. Macauley's grand and colorful
style helped me reconsider my bearings, but it was a bit too much. In
fact, when I brought home the passages that I loved the most to my
wife, an editor and publisher, she noted how crazed they were, and
often compared them, rather accurately, to those crazed conversations
we sometimes have when stuck with a stranger on a long night train
ride.  Nonetheless, Macauley had touched a nerve, so I decided to
calibrate his style next to Schumacher's' plainer style. It was night
and day. In contrast to both Macauley and Schumacher, most
professional writing appears stultifying. But a hybrid of Macauley's
exuberance and Schumacher's level headedness seemed intriguing. I
decided to give it a try.

   By l990, I had published thru Simon and Schuster my book with the
journalist Peter Asmus, _In Search of Environmental Excellence:
Moving Beyond Blame_. It was not written in the language of experts,
and selling in paperback for less than ten dollars, it got wide
circulation for a book of its kind, winning a book of the year by the
Nature Society of England, and being selected by several quality
paperback book editions and collections. Once again, embedding my
thoughts in the realm of E.F. Schumacher had helped. Gregg
Easterbrook, then the Environment Editor of _Newsweek_ magazine,
listed the title in his colossal _Moment on Earth_ in its general
bibliography section, in the neighborhood of some twenty-two other
general environmental writers last century that included Aldo
Leopold, Rachel Carson, Schumacher himself, and their direct
descendents.

   Why do I mention this? We don't have many decades to forge our
compositional style. Schumacher, in his plain but argumentative
style, helped me settle on the manner of communication that worked
for me. More importantly, it also helped me discern one of the best
ways to engage the many clients, affiliates, and stakeholders in my
consulting firm's basic practice. If you can tell the truth, some
will listen.

SCHUMACHER'S INSIGHT REGARDING PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

   Schumacher can also help one become a more competent teacher.
During the l990s, I taught graduate business seminars at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute's (RPI) Lally School of Management and
Technology. Being America's first engineering school, RPI tended to
attract technology-gifted individuals, still does. I chose in the
early l990s to teach them _Small Is Beautiful_ in one of the core-
required seminars. While I must admit, in retrospect, that many of
the purer gear heads often slipped two or three speeds, downshifting
into disdain on such chapters at "Buddhist Economics" (Part I,
chapter 4) or "The Problem of Unemployment in India" (Part II,
chapter 4). Nonetheless, some took a solid liking to the following
passage:

   "The structure of the organization can then be symbolized by a man
holding a large number of balloons in his hand. Each of the balloons
has its own buoyancy and lift, and the man himself does not lord it
over the balloons, but stands beneath them, yet holding all the
strings firmly in his hand. Every balloon is not only an
administrative but also an entrepreneurial unit."

   Students of business read this passage, and it caffinates them.
They already have inherited a sense of the monolithic organization,
which Schumacher colorfully characterizes as a "Christmas tree, with
a star at the top and lots of nuts and other useful things
underneath." Even the recalcitrant RPI engineer was moved, if only
momentarily, by Schumacher's application of this insight to his work
at the British National Coal Board, one of the largest commercial
organizations in Europe at the time.

   Here Schumacher notes how they found it possible to set up "quasi-
firms" under various names for its opencast mining, its brickworks,
and its coal products..."Special, relatively self-contained
organizational forms have evolved for its road transport activities,
estates, and retail business, not to mention various enterprises
falling under the head of diversification."

   Today, even after the recent dot.com disasters, it makes sense to
think thru this distinction in our own organizations and lives. The
man or woman holding balloons is in desperate need. The problem I
found with many U.S. business school graduates is their narrowness.
They have trouble empathizing with the needs and logic of their
direct reports, and often can't see the value of inputs from their
customers or stakeholders. Gifted in diagnostics, they are like
doctors unable to articulate their prognosis, unwilling to schedule
the cure. Schumacher, and others writing in the great humanistic
tradition like Macauley, Max DePres or Donald Phillips (whose
_Lincoln on Leadership_ I give to any leader I meet willing to take
the time) know better. It is all about people not just numbers, no
matter how alluring and telling.

   In fact, Schumacher chose to end _Small is Beautiful_ with this
forceful warning: "Everywhere people ask: 'What can I actually do?'
The answer is as simple as it is disconcerting: We can, each of us,
work to put our own inner house in order. The guidance we need for
this work cannot be found in science and technology, the value of
which utterly depends on the ends they serve; but is can still be
found in the traditional wisdom of mankind." The traditional wisdom
of mankind, something I know you can get at the "Great Books"
curriculum at a few fine U.S. schools like Columbia University, but
not many other places. I guess it pays to just buy the books yourself.

   Schumacher's insight centers on how a trust in people, their
needs, can allow the refinement of complex management systems, not
vice versa. He would get a kick out of the billions of dollars now
invested in forecasting and customer relations software, in the
absence of basic eye-to-eye relationships. I once met a brilliant New
York based advertising executive who summed it up for me: he said
every business resides in relational marketing, not in machines. In
the end, E.F. Schumacher taught many of us that if we trust in public
participation, it will prove the most reliable means to make the
world more intelligible.

CITIZEN SCIENCE AND TODAY'S MORE DANGEROUS WORLD

   Of course, there are many other places the readers of the Loka
Institute can go to get this advice. But Schumacher was a
particularly intelligent provocateur, a conceptual conversationalist
par excellence.  Watch, for example, how he pricks his readers into
attentiveness in this opening to his chapter called "Resources for
Industry" (Part II, Chapter III):

   "The most striking thing about modern industry is that it requires
so much and accomplishes so little. Modern industry seems to be
inefficient to a degree that surpasses one's ordinary powers of
imagination. Its inefficiency therefore remains unnoticed." (page
ll0).

   Amory Lovins echoes this "illusion of certainty" argument in his
now famous preamble to _Soft Energy Paths_. I have heard the same
echo in my mind several times, as I march in to make a presentation
before a Board or Management Council of one of my clients or
affiliates. In fact, my firm's focus on emerging trends in energy,
materials, and the environment can be thought to have its enabling
mantra found in the author under review.

   Readers of _Loka Alert_ know far more than I ever will about the
importance of citizen science. When citizens ask the right questions
(about siting, about complex technologies, about how the police might
use their new onstar satellite systems embedded in their cars),
higher efficiencies and more sound social policies are bound to
prevail. Call this optimistic, but it is a belief based in a kind of
conceptual empiricism I see at the base of Schumacher's work. To test
the legitimacy of these claims, let's look at the issue of energy
security.

   Since September 11, many U.S. government experts and corporate
strategists have begun to reassess their respective beachfronts from
the point of view of security. This is an especially important issue
when it comes to energy: how we make it, how we might best distribute
it, and what the real needs of business are at a time when power
outages can add up to millions of dollars in lost profit.

   While U.S. dependency on imported oil from the Middle East is the
obvious vulnerability linked to the terrorist strikes, our
information intensive economy is also highly dependent upon a
reliable supply of electricity. The rolling blackouts that have hit
California attached some real dollar signs to the cost of unreliable
power supplies. Silicon Valley firms lost $100 million in one day in
June of 2000 when the power went out. All told, businesses in the
U.S. lost $80 billion per/year due to power outages, according to the
Electric Power Research Institute.

   Whether it is Toyota or GM competing in auto-making, or Intel and
its archrivals competing over the shape of future chips, modern
manufacturing increasingly requires higher and higher degrees of
reliability.

   Over 8 percent of current U.S. consumption of electricity is
directly linked to the entire wired state of play necessary to make
better cars, better homes, or better appliances. In each of these
cases, a steady stream of highly reliable electrons is required.
Whereas electricity represented only 25% of total energy needs in the
mid-70s, it will represent 50% of total U.S. energy by 2020, when my
daughter enters her teens.

   What would E.F. Schumacher say about this current predicament, and
outline as our search for solutions?

   The terrorist attacks, and corresponding increases in U.S.
security costs at nuclear power plants, natural gas pipelines and
long distance transmission lines, amplify the shortcomings of the old
transmission and distribution grid. I am sure Schumacher would say
this boldly. A perfect strike at one of these targets could result in
crippling outages that could last for days.

   Since September 11, some key U.S. decision makers are taking a
fresh look at our energy infrastructure needs. There are some real
business opportunities merging in the realm of clean and distributed
electricity technologies, especially for the nimbler small businesses
that abound. Wind turbines, solar photovoltaics, fuel cells and
highly efficient micro-turbines are being incorporated into the
corporate strategies of firms as diverse as Walgreen's, Fetzer
Winery, First National Bank of Omaha, Neutrogena, Johnson and
Johnson, Bently Mills and Arden Realty. In fact, our _Corporate
Strategy Today_ quarterly tracks these developments. These companies
are walking in the shadow of E.F. Schumacher, some knowingly, some by
good fortune.

   After September 11, we need as a nation and as a larger community
of intellectuals to revisit the question of scale, first articulated
by Schumacher since World War II. This is the most annoying feature
of Schumacher's perennial success as a writer. He creates mental
mosquito bites, like Socrates, that cause cognitive itch. If we
rebuilt the World Trade Center should it remain 110 stories high?
When we ready the new Pentagon, should it all be so centralized? When
we modernize our electricity grid, as now hotly debated in the U.S.
Senate versions of President Bush's Energy Bill, should we do it at
the exclusion of the small business innovator stretching for energy
independence thru distributed power?

INDIA, SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA, AND LOYAL READERS WORLDWIDE

   At age forty-six, I have now lived with Schumacher's vision since
I was that Cornell University undergraduate when the book came out,
thirsty for redirection and even guidance. I still ask myself some
mornings: Why did he choose to speak at Sage Chapel? Why did he place
so much emphasis on the end use of energy? Why did he constantly
question if we were efficient enough? In fact, why did he believe we
have some much trouble asking the question "What Is Enough?" in the
vast paradise of consumer delight? I also ask at the end of some
brutal days as a consultant: "In retrospect, has he become more like
a perfect fossil, glittering in its translucent amber, but actually
mostly historic debris?"

   The answer resides in use. The greatest pleasure for writers of
non-fiction may be that their books not only be read, but also used,
used by corporate decision-makers and technical innovators, used by
citizens and scientists, employed and engaged by other intellectuals.

   As I travel around, when I spot _Small Is Beautiful_ on a shelf, I
ask to hold it. It is often a used copy, with marginalia, and
earmarked. This is the final honor to an author.

   In our more dangerous world, in a time when data is transferred in
seconds but often left uninterpreted or even unopened, and when the
pace of professional life itself is nothing short of turbulent, the
long, low-frequency of E.F. Schumacher's message remains heard.

   Think in closing about how elephants herd. Lately scientists have
begun to discern that in Africa at sunset elephants capitalize on
heat inversions. The nasal vibration emitted to alert other herds to
keep their distance, especially during droughts, now travels up to
six miles rather than the usual one hour doable without the
inversions to bounce the frequency. This is an important toll-free
message when each herd these days consumes several square miles of
food in places where food is scare. It is during this time of day,
when there can be 20 degrees F of difference between the coolness at
the knees of a giraffe and the temperature hovering in the inversion
at their Dr. Suess like heads, that these elephant families choose to
speak to their neighbors.

   This small curious detail, just one among billions in the gloria
known as our natural world, might bring--even in a time after the
lost of so many lives--a smile to Schumacher's normally stern face.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Lord Macaulay, _Literary Essays_ (Oxford Edition, l9l3)

E. F. Schumacher, _Small Is Beautiful: Economics As If People
Mattered_, (Harper and Row, l973)

Bruce Piasecki, with Peter Asmus, _In Search of Environmental
Excellence: Moving Beyond Blame_ (Simon and Schuster, l990)

Martin W. Lewis, _Green Delusions: An Environmentalist Critique of
Radical Environmentalism_ (Duke University Press, l992)

Gregg Easterbrook, A Moment on Earth (Harper and Row, l995)

Bruce Piasecki, _Corporate Environmental Strategy: the Avalanche of
Change Since Bhopal_ (John Wiley and Sons, l995)

Bruce Piasecki, Frank Mendelson, Kevin Fletcher, _Environmental
Management and Business Strategy: Leadership Skills for the 21st
Century_ (John Wiley and Sons, l999)

Peter Asmus, _Reaping the Wind_ (Island Press, 2001)

---

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Bruce Piasecki (bruce@ahcgroup.com) is the Founder and President of
the American Hazard Control Group Inc (www.ahcgroup.com), a
management consulting firm specializing in energy, materials and the
environment since l98l. Many of the Senior Associates of the AHCGroup
are published experts or attorneys or retired executives from major
manufacturing firms. Our clients have included Toyota North America,
Con Edison, PPL, Constellation Energy Group, and a set of 33
multinationals that have used our programs and emerging issues
workshops to benchmark their innovations and management systems
across the last ten years. Dr. Piasecki was the founding Director of
RPI's Environmental Management and Policy Masters program in the
Lally School of Management and Technology, and the author of six
books on energy and environmental strategy.