Willard Uncapher on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:25:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> NetHierarchies & NetWar

At 09:51 AM 11/4/2001 -0600, windseye <windseye@cei.net> picked up the
thread of networks, hierarchies, and systems; and wrote:

>Hierarchies are premised on control, power, information, and decision
>making dispersed from high to low. At the lowest levels the scope, range,
>degree of power, control and choice are extremely limited. Capacity to
>respond, revise, modify either overall tactics or strategy is either
>extremely limited or non-existent. Certainly shifting the field of action
>and objectives is not possible.

Hierarchies are and are not about power.  Those who divide the world into
two great dialectical camps (and you know who you are), into the Athenians
vs. the Spartans, the Freedom lovers vs the Organizers, into the sexy, and
suitably mischievous "arboreal" (tree-like) vs the rhizomatic
(root-decentered) of Deleuze and Guattari must struggle against this
evasion of logical boundaries. Dialectics are the most reliable toys
around, but they demand certain kinds of environments. Dialectics looks to
edges, defines edges, argues about edges. But as we loosen our sails to
voyage into a new understanding of networks, we will have to rethink how
these boundaries interact and create one another; we will need a new
network logic, and a great deal of it is already in place, as I have been
documenting.  It is not so much that networks are 'new,' but rather that we
are only gradually coming to understand them, to recognize them, and to see
how this understanding, this perspective has been coming into focus for
several centuries. Inversely, in is important to understand what 'impaired'
this understanding of network logics, and how this impacts research,
politics, and interpretation.

In the case of the quote above: a 'lower level' is not so highly
constrained simply by being 'lower.' The 'higher level' so free by being
higher.  Why should they be?  Because it makes for an interesting contrast?
TThis is an assumption that acts as blinds to what is truly going on.

Think about the cells in your body.  While they are 'smaller' than you, to
what extent do you constrain 'their' activities. How would you describe
your 'power' over them?  Now we can  deal with some of the cells one by one
in certain instances, but we really do not have the resources to deal with
vast masses of their tiny, yet critical and dynamic populations.  Higher
up, 'we' deal in approximations, in statistical judgements, choosing from
only among some of the activities going on.  In fact, the 'cells' have a
lot more 'freedom' than we might normally imagine, and even the boundaries
of the body, so dear to technoromantics and first-generation cyborg
theorists, begin to, what is the word?- loosen up, unravel, become entwined
in dynamics in which the boundaries of the body are no longer clear.  Our
cells must be renewed, and with a few small exceptions, we become
'physically' new people every few years, with only our self-evolving
staying the same (I will postpone a critique of autopoiesis, until a later
date). While you might then endow 'agency' to one level our another, to our
'self' which 'decides' to become multiple or simply one, this would be a
mistake.

Who is in charge?  Who is the agent?  An answer depends on how you pose the
question to a network. A NetArt theorist might pose it one way, a cyborg
theorist another.  However, those who look at, theorized, and researched
complex networks and networks of complexity, whether in economics, biology,
or ecology, realize that agency in networks is neither arbitrary nor
determined, since these words don't quite fit.  We can control our cells,
to some extent, and they us, to some extent. Indeed 'the technologies of
scale' are allowing us to understand the organization of cells in more and
more contexts, and thus to intervene in their activities in more and more
ways.  But who is in charge?  I might turn to Foucault and Gramsci to
invoke the complications of 'endowing' or training the freedom of parts,
who act our their freedom within invisible constraints. But then this
'top-down' perspective might need to miss out on emerging freedoms,
invisible freedoms, and 'unimportant freedoms' available in the carnival of
life down at the cellular level.

Who is the agent?  That seems to depend on which story one wants to
tell.  And that in turn depends on who one in turn structures all the
approximations and connections in the networks of meaning. All this might
be a bit theoretical, if it were not for increasing mediation and
introduction of network and computational technologies.  The master weaving
of the universe, as it were, are becoming ever more transformed in the
'network society,' and it behoves us to understand this new condition
occurring off the grid of static boundaries. Think about cells in our
bodies.  With 'communication enhancements' it is as if cells could now work
interactively and even integratively with more fields and systems outside
of the 'body.'

The same is true in NetWar, and in network tactics, whether undertaken as
part of military, business, or progressive activists. So-called upper
levels must evolve in ways that deal with the increased communicative
potential 'lower down.'  Lower down, we might see Raves evolving in what
Hakim Bey has called Temporary Autonomous Zones.  And the TAZ can be used
to describe any number of emergent, but somewhat invisible form or force in
a larger system. In my reading, as the Rave attains the 'scale' by that it
can be seen by 'those above' (more on this), then it come closer to the
point that it can be targeted for elimination or appropriation. While some
Rave theorists might think this hit-and-run TAZ can go on indefinitely, I
would point out that as 'Raves' themselves become a pattern- in a city, a
culture, etc.- then they can also be targeted and/or appropriated. And a
pattern is just a way of simplifying the evasions, explorations,
bifurcations, losses and gains of one level, but a simply 'system' of
re-occurring similarities seen from a higher level.  The Rave pattern gets
noticed, and becomes part of the strategy of people with social and
material power (and endowing new power and limitations on some from the
Rave world whose scope expands).

I believe it is important to look at some of the explicit theorizing (and
implicit tactics) of someone like Jack Welch of GE.  Jack Welch, the much
emulated (in terms of business practice and theory), reviled (in terms of
social concerns), and influential CEO of General Electric summarized some
of his new management strategies in terms of 'boundaryless organizations.'
In fact there are boundaries, and why they were background is another
story, but the point is that he led many other corporations like his (the
largest industrial Corp in the world I believe) to come up with strategies
that open the boundaries in and between corporations in new ways.

Now we can look to his alleged impact on, say, the GE-NBC media network and
on their coverage and influence over the recent US presidential elections.
The new management theorist try hard to figure out 'where the information
is' with which they need to make their decisions, and it is not simply at
the top of some big bureaucratic information filtering machine. It would be
interesting to compare some of Welch's and other the new management
theorists rants against 'bureaucracy' (and 'government') and that of the
'left.'  The new managment strategies are not based (exclusively) on
Hegelian-Darwinian-Spencer competition and survival/evolution of the most
fit, but rather on ways of re-conceiving networked organizations. We can
hear of Von Neumann and game theory influenced strategy of building product
lines around complements (coopetition, which is to combine cooperation and
competition). This all would demand a social and political analysis a bit
more evolved than one that idealizes companies on the one hand as 19th
century bureaucratic machines, or on the other as mere networks of flow.
After all boundaries do matter, whether they are the persistence of
national, or other organization boundaries. For those who would theorize
about networks, it turns out to be difficult to create boundaries, and
often quite useful to re-deploy them rather than eliminate them in the name
of something better and more revolutionary (the problem with post-Soviet
corruption is on such example).

While the business, government, and military structures are all evolving to
a new kind of network structures from within the network society, it is
highly lamentable if those who would wish to critique abuse of power in the
name of civil rights, economic justice, human dignity, natural
sustainability, diversity, and interdependence, etc., would wed themselves
to envisioning corporations working like great 19th century bureaucracies.
The assumption of these ordered bureaucracies dealing with complex
information like an industrial machine has been analyzed elsewhere, eg.
Beniger's The Control Revolution.  Many business, government, and academic
institutions still function with static assignments of both levels of power
and definition of the boundaries of any discipline or division at any level
(I argue these are related), and they are related to what power is and how
it works.  What we need to recognize is not only that there are new social
and cultural forms developing within this 'boundaryless' flexibility, but
that the language of horizontal connection and vertical control is not
adequate to describe these emerging dynamics.

Economist Herbert Simon speaks of hierarchy as the organization of
complexity, and my work  echoes that approach.  Hierarchy in this context
should not simply connote a 'static' arrangement of levels, but rather a
more dynamic approach to organizing problems into progressive levels,
scales, or layers of analysis on the one hand, or social control on the
other.  While I will draw upon the work of hierarchy theorists like Simon,
I proposed to extend their work by considering the questions of power and
material limitation as key determinants influencing how a 'space' of
complexity is opened in the first place, and how the boundaries and
distinctions that form the boundaries become 'assumed' within the logical,
bounded categories and cultures that are produced.

We might read:
>Networks on the other hand are premised on open information, autonomy,
>dispersal of power and responsibility, independent analysis and decision
>making, identification of problems to be solved within the context of the
>overall set of guidelines, and capacity to assist or guide the network
>into redefining its range, scope, needs, and goals.

As I have said, communication and control are two ways of reading the same
inter-dependent relationships. In fact, we need not only communication, but
alliances. The decisions mentioned above in the idealized 'democratic
network' would often about what to include or exclude, about where to draw
the boundaries of a network, or how to react to the way boundaries have
been imposed, about how to reach out to coordinate with other networks.
Consider the bioregional perspective. While it makes sense to look at the
world in terms of self-sustaining localities, tuned to local natural and
cultural resources,  we must consider not only trade, but also
appropriation- how does an isolated region deal with non-local threats, or
catastrophic ones.  'Divided we fall, united we stand' is a phrase that
must also be remembered at this point. Bioregions will have to create means
by which they can work together- why?  Because many of the forces and
organizations that they deal with are not confined within their world. The
air they breathe, and the organizations they will face are not limited by a
watershed. Some are based of business corporations whose operations 'by
some definition' is worldwide. And while I would agree that bioregions can
be considered a strong possibility contribution in the ongoing definition
of a viable local- what are the boundaries of the bioregion?

If we look to the rise of the modern corporation, say in the writings of
Korten or many others, we see that it evolved to limit risk in the context
of new industrial combinations and production units that would overwhelm
the finances of even the wealthiest individual or government. This
containment of risk will not end, and would be integral to the
consideration of alliances even between bioregions.   It makes little sense
the divide the world into democratic networks and autocratic hierarchies,
and it will make even less sense as our networks and hierarchies become
ever more flexible with the introduction of new information and
organizational technologies.

Rather than idealize the split, we need to develop new artistic and
political means of investigation and intervention. In the case of politics,
I have argued that we need to consider issues of transparency and
check-and-balances more succinctly.  This are means of dealing with
corruption and tyranny.  This is not as simple as it might seem since
transparency also invades the domain of privacy, and balance of power must
be weighed against timely and efficient decisions (made by someone 'who
knows?). The point is not to decide this, but to clarify our need to
introduce a more explicit balance into our NetPolitics, one that explicitly
argues for transparency.  But bear in mind, that many institutions feel
above the need for scrutiny, and will fight it. And we must in turn
scrutinize the scrutinizers, and regulate the regulators. This is a
position that must be articulated on a broad, almost 'universal'
scope.'  We have to pay attention to those who might say:

>Watch over time to not whether individual people within a hierarchy or a
>network become more "democratic" over time and experience in one culture
>(net or hierarchy)  or another. The characteristics of a network are more
>congruent with democratic stance and functioning. Which is more conducive
>to developing functioning autonomous individuals who act democratically?

Oh, that the revolutions of the world had all ended in collegial, open
societies!  While a revolutionary cell might argue 'democratically' why is
it that the final disposition of a revolution might end in command driven
societies?  In fact, revolutionary networks, terrorist networks, business
networks are connected to all kinds of leverage points which impairs the
idealized  communality.  I would argue that we need more than these
Cartesian 'autonomous' individuals to make up a democracy- and under what
circumstances they could be considered 'autonomous' is another issue we
must take up another day. Democracy comes in many forms and flavors, and I
would suggest that whichever proves to be your focus, it should involve
more than libertarian autonomism; democracy is a lot more than that,
involving protection of minorities (we all are part of some minority), due
process, balance-of-powers, and so on, which is structural interventions
designed to preserve broad based, truly empowered decision making based on
diverse, timely, broad based 'information' and interpretations.