scotartt on Fri, 9 Nov 2001 00:55:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Analog to Digital Dj mixes coded language...

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 04:43:14PM -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Dan Sheetz wrote:
>
> >The comparison between digital networks and the toilet networks seems
> >quite apt
>
> Must come naturally to a guy named Sheetz!.
>
> Anyways, toilets were a big deal.  The digital network is a big deal. The
> toilet taught us nothing about sharing.  Hopefully the network will.

I would argue, quite contrary to the sanitation network, the really
important city-network, and one which DID teach us about sharing, was the
water distribution system aka the aqueduct. One of the most popular
measures a new Caesar looking to consolidate his power could take was to
extend the aqueduct system. In Rome you can still drink from public
fountains with inscriptions 'Dedicated to the people of Rome by the
Emperor Claudius' (or whomever, i forget which one it actually was on the
one that i saw (and drank from); probably a later one like Trajan or
Hadrian I imagine).

Of course, another distribution network the Romans were famous for, were
roads, but that topic's already been done to death (cf "information
superhighway").

regs
scot.

   [[ From: scot@autonomous.org ]]                |
+--[[ NERVE AGENT AUDIO SYSTEMS ]]--+--(CH3)2CH-O-P=O--+
   [[ http://mp3.com/nerveagent ]]                |
                                                  CH3