Ivo Skoric on Fri, 9 Nov 2001 01:23:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The new US

Yesterday I had my first encounter on the homeland front of the US
war on terrorism. I went to see a documentary by Eric van der
Broek and Katarina Rejger about the Otpor movement that toppled
Milosevic in Serbia. The film was showing at the Margaret Mead
Film Festival at the Museum of Natural History on 77th street and
Central Park West in New York city.

Naturally, I was expecting that I would just buy a ticked and go to
the movies. Not so in the new America. All belongings had to be
searched at the entrance to the museum. It was an international
film festival. It was happening inside the landmark building in the
New York city, a building that also served as a museum containing
valuable exhibits. Naturally, under those circumstances, everybody
should have expected to be searched.

But I forgot that detail and I had my backpack with me. And in
backpack, of course, I had various things that I didn't expect I
would have to show to anybody. A pair of quite smelly socks, still
moist from sweat, since I was just hailing from the gym, for
example. When I opened my backpack's accessories
compartment one thing stood out on the top, which immediately
caught an eye of the security guard and made the rest of this
humorous ordeal possible: my orange box-cutter knife.

A Croat with a box-cutter knife coming to see a film about Serbia in
the middle of New York? This is Trouble with capital T, isn't it? The
security personnel explained me that I can't get in with the box-
cutter weapon. And I said that I understood that and that I was
willing to leave the entire backpack in their care until the film was
over. Here, however, the real problem became obvious: they did not
have facilities to deal with unwelcome luggage. In other words, they
told me - you cannot get in with this backpack AND you cannot
leave this backpack here in our care.

What were my options at that point? To leave the theater
alltogether. Or to go out and leave the backpack on the street and
come back to see the movie. Well, it was absolutely sure that in
the later case I would never see the backpack again, so I dropped
that as an option. Instead, I argued that they should either:
a) let me in with the backpack, on a trust
b) take the backpack and keep it somewhere until I get out
c) give me my money back for the ticket I bought for the movie, in
which case I would leave

There the three (all female) security guards divided in opinions on
what to do with me. Two of them, both of the same rank, fell into a
quarrel over my situation, and ended up both independently calling
their supervisors for instructions, which were to some extent not
really clear. One was for letting me in. Another was fiercely against
letting me in. However, the supervisor, who happened to be (male)
NYPD officer, decided to let me in, provided that I leave the box-
cutter weapon at the security desk, which was completely fine with
me.

At that point the one security guard who was in favor of letting me
in waved me in, but the another one started screaming - "come
back! I did not finish the search of your backpack!" The cop (who
was not feeling comfortable with the entire thing) did not took either
position. But since the persistent guard who did not favor me, was
the loudest in the pack, we all complied with her wishes. Of
course, strictly security speaking, she was right: because I could
volunteer the box-cutter, and have a hand grenade in the back-pack
go unchecked with me to the film presentation.

I also had scissors in the backpack. And I had pepper spray. The
zealous guard gleamed with her finds. And I complimented her on
her sense of duty. She did miss the small folding Leatherman tool
that also have a 2 inch long sharp knife inside, though. Which just
shows how even a meticulous search can miss something. And if I
was really a terrorist I might have a real weapon hidden inside my
deodorant stick, for example. I could have given up all the
suspicious stuff, and keep the stuff that looks harmless, but which
could have been re-designed to keep a chemical or biological
agents.

This just shows how the war on terrorism is a tricky issue. I lost
half an hour at the entrance. And other people who came to the
festival with bags also lost time. That means that we have to put up
with the time consuming incovenience of searches. Also, there is
considerable loss of privacy associated with this. I could have a
bag of weed in my backpack. Which is not a weapon. But which is
illegal, and if found, the NYPD officer would have to seize it, and
maybe even book me.

On the other hand, despite the inconvenience and the loss of
privacy, there is no absolute guarantee that such searches will
prevent terrorism - because, as I explained, I still could have a real
weapon hidden in some of the unsuspicious everyday items in my
backpack. The only real "weapon" against the terrorism is
eliminating the causes that may drive somebody to desperate
violent acts. There should be other roads for the rage of
dispossesed to address their grievances. They should not feel that
their only answer is to follow the lead of those whose only desire is
destruction and mayhem. That's the only cure for the current
disease that plagues our planet.

ivo

ps - the 3 suspect items were kept at the security desk until the
end of show and returned to me; I was let in and NOBODY even
asked me for a ticket, or checked whether I was on the list (which I
was). After all, who would dare to ask for money, from somebody
who came so well armed? They just told me where my film is
showing, and let me in....