Lachlan Brown on Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:27:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Perverted Science

> excellent in-depth analysis of ACTA and this
> report on unpatriotic academics (center column
> feature):
>
> "Who are the brain police???"
> http://la.indymedia.org/index.php3

Yes, this is an oldie. Scholarship predates

the nation and required the university. The

point of the university was that knowledge was

 universal, relatively free of church or state

 interference. The production and

dissemination of knowledge was to be governed

by peers, the academic profession, not

intimidated by church or by monarch, and not

fickle to the demands of the market. The

university is a great idea the West got from

Islam in the 12th and 13th century.

Of course church, governments and commercial

interests  have always tried to change this.

There is considerable power in the terms of

the production of knowledge in the university

or in media.

Most of our rights were made to

resist church, state and commercial

 interference.

The Taleban  is a good example of religious

interference in the production of knowledge.

Contemporary America a good example of

corporate interference in the production of

knowledge.

The Soviet Union was a good example of state

interference in the production of knowledge.

A patriotic academic is generally a member of

 a military academy a place where patriotism is

a valued part of the learning experience.

Patriotic academics are not to be found in

universities (though an academic can be

patriotic in his spare time I suppose) because

the outcome is ignorance, a perverted science,

and really really crap arts and humanities.

Believe me, the fascists have tried this many,

many times before.

Lachlan Brown

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup