Lachlan Brown on Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:28:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Curating the Coup

Intriguing to see how my post “Chile Night’

has elided in replies from a concern about

what is in effect and outcome, if not in

planning, conception or anticipation, (and

therefore hardly a conspiracy) a legislative

but not yet political Coup by very right wing

 forces in the West to an allegory about the

common experience of traversing borders.

Indeed, there are few places where we are

willing to renounce our rights and accept an

assumption of culpability or guilt before we

can show ourselves, through document (the

Passport – which is in any case a property of

 our home states) and self-witness (for

business or pleasure), to be innocent. The

quazi-autonomous zone of the

frontier between states requires this

temporary abject, subject-less status. It also

 seems to require Nazis to staff it.

Whether the context of responsibility of

the ‘gatekeeper’ who has personal

responsibility produces the fascism, or

whether fascists are attracted to the post of

state ‘gatekeeper’ is a question that might

 not presently be deferred. It is very urgent

 that we examine the cultures of gate-keeping.

 The constraints of time and resources upon

the administration, enforcement and execution

of new legislation concerning ‘national

security, homeland safety, terrorism or ‘un-

American’ sentiment (whatever that is, can’t

imagine being sanctioned for being ‘un-

British’ or ‘un-Canadian’ and what would ‘un-

Jamaican’ look like exactly?) mean that only

the military and/or immigration and

citizenship ministries are equipped to

perform the ‘service’.

Given that there are only two structures of

the state that are able or equipped to manage,

 enforce and administrate the new laws

concerning ‘national security’ or ‘homeland

safety’ or ‘terrorism’, the Military, which is

 in any case confined to temporary zones

declared under military emergency, and

Citizenship and Immigration, the temporary

 experience we all feel in entering a state

may well become a general and perhaps

permanent experience.

Perhaps we can hone our criticsm of the

gatekeeping culture all of this emergency

legislation points to by focussing on

the behavior, accountability, and longevity

in their apparently permanent autonomous

roles as ‘middle managers of meaning’ of

the ‘cultural gatekeeper’ the curator or the

editor in the field of cultural production

will provide a productive point for writers

 and artists to challenge the new borders,

 boundaries and enclosures  and permit

curators and editors to be even more reflexive

 about their roles, motives and investments

than they are at present.

I am sure that if or when the National Security

State hauls you in for interrogation over

your 'unCanadian' activities

on the grounds that your art or writing, your

curation or editing, seeks to breach the

security of the new enclosures  between

ethnicities, genders and

classes or castes, the exercise will prepare

us all to present a good many more questions

to the interrogators than the inquisition

expects.

Just a suggestion.

from

Lachlan Brown
Toronto
crying freedom

btw I edited with Susan Lord the catalogue for
Nina Czeglady's first western curation in 89 (i think)  a video festival at Toronto's Euclid Theatre: UNBLOCKED - video from
eastern europe 'an explosion of authentic national expression from the Balkans...'

this way to the gallery, this to the camp

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup