Steve McAlexander on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 07:28:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] http://www.wage-slave.org/scorecard.html

Title: Message

wage slave journal

Tips

Archives
Comic strip
Contact
WSJ store

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter:

Features covering George W. Bush's evils:

The beginning of the end for the Constitution?
Some of President Bush's latest actions post a real threat to the freedom we all enjoy.

On standing behind the president
We shouldn't suspend criticism of the president simply because of a crisis.

Bush's energy ploy
Bush's energy policy is little more than a fraud--and so is the crisis it's supposed to fix.

The dirt on Florida
A review of Down and Dirty: The Plot to Steal the Presidency and interview with author Jake Tapper.

Lending the rich a helping hand
Bush's $1.6 trillion tax cut is a boon to the wealthy but misses millions of the working poor.

8 November-13 December 2000
The Florida debacle
The Wage Slave Journal on thirty-six days of unforgettable American history.

3-17 October 2000
Special report: the debates
Blow-by-blow analysis of the four presidential and vice-presidential debates.

Answer me!
Asking the presidential candidates questions they'd never answer.

George W. Bush: thoughtless candidate for an unthinking America
How can Bush garner so much support with so little to offer?

Presidential unqualifications
Which candidate for president is the worst?

Selling futures
On G.W. Bush's proposal to strip failing public schools of funding.

Complete archives

George W. Bush Scorecard of Evil

President Bush took a sharp right turn in policy soon after his inauguration, surprising a country that heard a carefully crafted message of moderate governance during the campaign. He's picked some strange battles early in his administration, prompting an outcry from everyone ranging from liberal Democrats to moderate Republicans. It's getting harder every day to remember all of the truly mystifying policies the Bush administration is pursuing, so the Wage Slave Journal offers this scorecard to help you keep track of all of the evil deeds Bush commits and, more important, to provide a record for your perusal when November 2004 rolls around. Be sure to bookmark this page; something tells us we'll need to update it often. And if we miss some dastardly deed, email us to tell us what we overlooked.

July 2001 - Present | January 2001 - June 2001
Evil index Evil act Evil details
11-30-2001

New York Times

Bush tries to revive Cointelpro. It was the operation in which the FBI spied on Martin Luther King, Jr. There was a time in this country when the government considered the struggle for civil rights tantamount to communism. It's one of those historical crimes that almost seems worth the pain it caused only because it serves as a warning to future generations that they must be wary in order to preserve their liberties. But after September 11, Americans aren't so interested in protecting their freedoms anymore, so John Ashcroft's proposal to allow domestic spying on religious and political groups will probably not generate significant popular dissent. Cointelpro. It's a word that should strike fear into the heart of every freedom-loving American. And if Bush and Ashcroft have their way, it's coming back.
11-29-2001

Washington Post

Bush allows pesticide experiments involving humans. If you want to eat pesticide for money, there's good news: Bush's EPA has decided to allow you to do so again. Under the Clinton administration, the practice of experimenting on humans to determine pesticide safety levels was banned; scientists considered them too dangerous. But this angered the pesticide industry, since the (admittedly more accurate) human trials allowed them to sell more product. (The estimated data from less accurate experiments has to be multiplied to get safe human levels, and scientists err on the side of safety.) If it makes an industry angry, it makes Bush angry (we can't imagine why), so he's decided to allow the tests once again, against the advice of the (not-connected-to-pesticide-companies) scientific community.
11-20-2001

Associated Press

Bush asks Americans to "dig deep" during holiday season. Call it evil by irony. There's nothing inherently wrong with President Bush's request to Americans to increase charitable giving during the holiday season. We all should give more. But the budget Bush released earlier in the year made it clear that fighting poverty was not one of his priorities, while tax breaks for the rich are at the top of his list. The president has enormous power to eradicate poverty in America, and Bush has chosen not to fight that battle. (The grants for homelessness he announced today fall far short of a real solution.) By asking Americans to fight it for him, he is shirking his duties as the president. Yes, we should all give during the holiday season. But the best way to fight poverty is to get this guy out of office.
11-18-2001

LA Times

Bush orders the destruction of public information. There's no doubt that the president does not consider the public's access to information about the government to be an important right. He recently signed an executive order that would keep his own papers in secret for perpetuity. (See 11-2-2001 below.) But there's other information the Bush administration wouldn't like the public to get its hands on, and the terrorist acts of September 11 provided a perfect excuse. So he orders federal agencies to remove data from their Web sites and libraries to destroy information they are storing. Terrorists didn't need this information to plan devastating attacks. But Americans need it to stay informed.
11-14-2001

Washington Post

Bush proposes trying suspected terrorists with military tribunals. Since people in America suspected of ties to terrorism are being refused the right to counsel (see 11-9-2001 below), it should come as no surprise that Bush doesn't plan on protecting the rights of terrorists captured on international soil. But Bush's decision to use military tribunals to try captured terrorists is an unconstitutional extension of the executive branch's powers. The Secretary of Defense choosing the burden of proof? Only two-thirds consensus required for a conviction? No appellate review of the tribunal's verdicts? One can't help but suspect these tribunals will be secret and wonder whether the Bush administration is afraid of public trials. The fact that Bush has refused to share publicly the evidence against Osama bin Laden and Al Queda is equally disturbing. Our judicial system is designed to give a fair and open trial to those accused of crimes, and it's the best in the world. Why does the president feel the need to replace it?
11-9-2001

Washington Post

Bush eliminates the basic right of attorney-client privilege. The thing about Constitutional rights is that there can be absolutely no exceptions. Once you start making exceptions, even "just this one time," it opens the door to future abuses. Today we're doing it in the name of preventing terrorism, tomorrow it's the War on Drugs, and eventually they're denying you a lawyer when they charge you with sedition. We have to protect our rights at all costs, because any attack on them, no matter how innocuous, can be the beginning of the end. The right of a suspected criminal to have an attorney is clearly stated in the Sixth Amendment to the Constitution. The courts long ago recognized that a suspect must be allowed to speak freely to counsel in order for that Constitutional right to be fulfilled. Now, in its clearest violation of both the letter and the spirit of that amendment, the Bush administration announces that it will monitor calls between people suspected of links to terrorists and their lawyers. This means those suspects cannot speak freely to their lawyers and are being denied the right to counsel. What's the point in defending freedom abroad if we're denying it at home?
11-7-2001

Washington Post

Bush closes office dedicated to protecting the Everglades. In one of those campaign appearances meant to emphasize the "compassionate" part of "compassionate conservative," the Bush visited the Florida Everglades to promise that as president, he would protect America's natural resources. In what is now an all-too-familiar move, Bush's Interior Secretary, Gale Norton, closes down the federal office whose job it is to protect the Everglades.
11-7-2001

Washington Post

Bush forces terminally ill Oregonians to die painful deaths. If there's one thing we learned from the 2000 elections, it's that Republicans like states' rights just so long as they don't interfere with their conservative agenda. The people of Oregon in 1994 and 1997 voted to allow doctors to prescribe medications for terminally ill people that would let them end their lives as they wished: peacefully, at home, with family. Attorney General John Ashcroft informs the state that the Drug Enforcement Agency will be prosecuting doctors who prescribe drugs for euthanasia, ensuring those ill patients the long, slow, undignified, painful deaths that Ashcroft's God dictates.
11-2-2001

CNN

Bush gives Microsoft a free pass. Both the trial judge and the appeals court found Microsoft guilty of antitrust violations. But Republicans don't believe in enforcing antitrust laws, do they? That's just the government interfering with the perfection of the free market. So Bush's Department of Justice lets Microsoft off easy, agreeing to a settlement that only puts minor (and temporary) restrictions on the software giant.
11-2-2001

Washington Post

Bush overturns the 1978 Presidential Records Act. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that presidents have the power to overturn laws with an executive order. But President Bush doesn't let that stop him from protecting Reagan, his father, administration cronies, and himself from the eventual release of their records. In the wake of Watergate, Congress passed the 1978 Presidential Records Act, which was designed to check the evil whims of future presidents with the promise that all their papers would be released to the public 12 years after they left office. Reagan's papers were slated to be released this year, but Bush delayed the release several times. (See 9-1-2001 and 6-9-2001 below.) Surely this was connected to the fact that many of the worst criminals in the Reagan administration now serve under Bush. Now the president signs an executive order invalidating the PRA, ensuring that his most heinous deeds can be hidden from the public eye for all time.
10-27-2001

Associated Press

Bush urges Congress not to federalize airport security. Airport screeners make an average of $6.75 per hour. They have a turnover rate of 126 percent a year, meaning that virtually none of them stays on the job for long. With those kinds of working conditions, is it any surprise that a man made it onto a plane with a gun a few days ago, in what is supposed to be a time of heightened security? Low-wage workers are not motivated to do a great job. (Have you ever noticed that fast-food employees never seem as enthusiastic in real life as they are in commercials?) So when Bush urges Congress not to make airport security a federal law-enforcement concern, he's directly endangering the lives of millions of American air travelers--just in time for the holidays!
10-26-2001

Washington Post

Bush signs the antiterrorism bill. Civil liberties officially take a backseat to law enforcement. The Senate and House easily pass the antiterrorism bill (with the cloying and inaccurate name, "USA Patriot Act"), which makes it easier for the government to conduct searches or electronic surveillance. The president quickly and enthusiastically signs the bill. Democratic Senator Russell Feingold of Wisconsin, who cast the sole vote in the Senate against the bill, calls it "a wish list for the FBI, an overreach that invades civil liberties."
10-26-2001

Washington Post

Bush overturns mining regulations. The possibility that a mine will cause "substantial irreparable harm" seems like a pretty good reason for the Interior Department to deny it a permit. But that standard isn't acceptable to the mining industry, which makes it unacceptable to the Bush administration. After the generosity of the mining companies toward the Bush campaign, who can blame them? Those campaign contributions don't come cheap, after all. It's just too bad that it's the American landscape that will have to pay.
10-21-2001

Washington Post

Bush approves the assassination of Osama bin Laden. What's so immoral about assassinations? After all, people die in military engagements all the time, so why should, say, slipping a political leader a dose of heart-stopping poison be any worse than shooting a soldier? Well, the soldier is shooting back. War is fraught with moral ambiguities, but there are rules to military engagements. (Those rules are broken all too often, with such incidents explained euphemistically as "collateral damage.") You're not supposed to shoot someone who doesn't pose immediate danger to you or others. Assassination is a specific violation of those rules, and thus inherently immoral. Before September 11, America was quickly losing stature on the world stage after sabotaging treaties covering subjects ranging from carbon dioxide emissions to biological warfare. Bush's order to the CIA to use any means to take out Osama bin Laden is likely to chip away at the stature we've regained since we were attacked by terrorists. Besides, it's just wrong.
10-19-2001

Washington Post

Bush lies to Congress about affect of oil drilling in ANWR on caribou. Wildlife refuges like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge exist for one reason: to protect wildlife from the whims of politics and economic self-interest. Such self-interest has led the GOP to argue for drilling in ANWR ever since the president took office. They've even exploited the September 11 attacks to bolster their argument. When Interior Secretary Gale Norton argues in front of Congress in support of oil drilling in ANWR, she omits data from the Wildlife Service showing that drilling would affect the caribou that migrate through the area and lies about the calving habits of those caribou. Both deceptions serve to promote the drilling, which would be a boon to the energy industry that supported Bush so loyally during the presidential campaign.
10-13-2001

Associated Press

Bush puts a lid on the media. Ari Fleischer tells Americans they need to "watch what they say." The administration asks TV news networks to let it edit videos from Al Qaeda before they show them. Is silencing the media the president's idea of defending freedom? Now the administration isn't allowing interviews of public health officials, denying citizens important information. Reporters are even having trouble finding information on environmental issues, which leads one to wonder just what kinds of policies agencies like Interior and the EPA are slipping in while our attention is elsewhere. One reporter described the administration's actions as "irrational and overreaching."
10-5-2001

Associated Press

Bush looks to cut taxes even further. Fearing an economic slump in the wake of the September 11 attacks, the president proposes $60 billion in tax cuts in addition to the $1.35 trillion cut Congress foolishly passed earlier this year. A disaster like this, where there is significant physical damage and massive unemployment across several industries, requires government spending, not tax cuts, to boost the economy. Such spending will create jobs and increase consumer spending, which tax cuts (aimed toward the rich, as always) can't do.
10-1-2001

LA Times

Bush expands powers of secret court. A secret court located in the Justice Department decides whether or not Americans can be wiretapped. There's no accountability and no appeal. How could you appeal, after all, when you don't even know you've been tapped? In the wake of the September 11 attacks, Attorney General John Ashcroft wants to make it even easier for the court, which in 23 years has disapproved exactly one surveillance request, to approve wiretaps and warrants. Ashcroft's proposal would expand the courts bailiwick; where it now deals solely with intelligence matters, he would have it expand to criminal investigations. Given that the court was created to prevent Nixonian abuses of the Justice Department revealed by the Watergate investigation, Ashcroft's proposals seem to be a direct threat to civil rights.
9-24-2001

Washington Post

Bush tries to end arms sanctions. Back when America was fighting the Cold War, we had a knack for arming folks who would eventually turn into our enemies. We armed Manuel Noriega, and he became "Manuel Noriega." We armed Saddam Hussein, and he became "Saddam Hussein." We even armed Osama bin Laden, who has since become "Osama bin Laden." This turned out to be a short-sighted strategy. Now the president wants to revive it by eliminating arms sanctions to a host of nations. This includes Pakistan, who has been under an arms embargo because of its nuclear program. While the current government of that country has indicated that it wants to help America fight our new war on terrorism, that attitude could easily spark a coup that would put Pakistan's military in the hands of extremists. Thus sending arms to Pakistan, along with Syria and Iran, might not be the best idea. This action also lifts arms embargoes on countries like China where they were in place because of their poor human rights records.
9-17-2001

Washington Post

Bush looks to curb civil liberties. Everyone says if we let the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon change our lives, then the terrorists have won. Certainly any restrictions to our freedoms would be the worst victory we could hand them. Nevertheless, the president wants to assassinate foreign leaders, make it easier to tap our phones, and detain foreigners (wonder how they'll pick which ones). It sounds as though America is going to be a little less like America for a while.
9-8-2001

LA Times

Bush delays energy assistance to the poor. During his made-up energy crisis, President Bush sought to deflect criticism that his plan was skewed in favor of the energy industry by proposing $150 million in funds to help the poor pay their utility bills. Congress doubled the amount to $300 million. But now Bush blocks those very funds, a move we can only describe as unfathomable.
9-7-2001

New York Times

Bush eases nursing home regulations. Bad nursing homes can be a horror. Government investigations have documented unimaginable conditions for seniors over the years. This isn't terribly surprising; it's cheaper to provide bad service than good service. The best remedy is government oversight. Now the Bush administration proposes to reduce that oversight, reducing inspections from once a year to once every two or three years, easing penalties, and relying on data given by the industry. We're sure nursing homes will line up to give the government data on their less savory practices.
9-6-2001

Associated Press

Bush lets Microsoft off scot-free. The U.S. Court of Appeals sent back Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson's sentence in the Microsoft case for review because it felt the judge had been too biased in his decision, not surprising considering his ill-advised anti-Microsoft remarks to the media. But it did not ask the court to review his verdict, agreeing with Jackson that Microsoft was clearly guilty of antitrust violations. Now Attorney General John Ashcroft decides not to pursue any significant punishments for the software giant, meaning Microsoft will suffer no consequences for what the trial judge and appeals court agree are serious crimes. You just have to love these get-tough-on-crime conservatives!
9-1-2001

New York Times

Bush delays release of Reagan's presidential records--again. A post-Watergate law required that all presidents release their records twelve years after their terms end. Ronald Reagan was the first president covered by the law, and his papers were due for release in January. But the Bush administration (many of whose members worked for Reagan and Vice President George Bush, whose papers from that era must also be released) delayed the papers' release until June. In June, they delayed the release until August. (See 6-9-2001 below.) Now that the August deadline has passed, the current administration delays the release again, this time with no deadline. How long will the Bush administration be allowed to protect its cronies?
8-28-2001

Associated Press

Bush delays reparations to cancer-stricken uranium miners. There was a time, believe it or not, when people didn't know that exposure to uranium would lead to cancer. Now we know better, of course, and dozens of miners who worked with uranium ore for the government's nuclear program have gotten sick. The sacrifice to their health given in service to their country is no less than that of a wounded soldier, and they deserve similar compensation. The president wants to push back compensation while the government conducts studies, but these people are rapidly dying. Given another chance to prove that he really is a compassionate human being, Bush fails miserably.
8-28-2001

Washington Post

Bush skips an international conference on racism. We've pulled out of the Kyoto treaty, the germ warfare treaty enforcement protocols, and the ABM treaty. We've been kicked off the UN Human Rights Commission. Thousands of protesters face President Bush whenever he travels to Europe. Our international standing is lower than it has been in years. Naturally, the president decides not to send Secretary of State Colin Powell to an international conference on racism in order to protest language in a conference communique that condemns Israel's treatment of Palestinians as racist. Wouldn't going to the conference to discuss the issue be a more mature response? Isn't establishing such dialogue the whole idea behind the conference?
8-23-2001

CNN

Bush announces that the United States will withdraw from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. "We will withdraw from the ABM treaty on our timetable," the president announces from his "working vacation" in Crawford, Texas. Apparently the United States has returned to the days--well remembered by Native Americans--when we honor treaties only as long as they're convenient. If Russia doesn't like the terms of our withdrawal, too bad. We'll just rip up the treaty when it ceases to suit our purposes.
8-23-2001

Washington Post

Bush cooks budget numbers for PR purposes. While the surplus plunges, Bush's White House tries to fool the American public into calm. His budget director, Mitch Daniels, says the country is "awash in money." Happily, the media sees through this deception and reports the truth about the budget. While the White House says there is a $158 billion surplus, this is largely the untouchable Social Security surplus. Without Social Security funds, the surplus drops to $1 billion. Maybe Bush's $1.35 trillion tax cut wasn't such a good idea after all?
8-15-2001

Rocky Mountain News

Bush keeps protesters at bay--again. Back in June, the president was speaking at a tax rally where protesters where forced to leave. (See 6-8-2001 below.) They were only allowed in designated "First Amendment areas," proving that in Bush's America, the First Amendment only counts where he says it counts. Now on a trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park, Bush does it again, staying in areas no less than a mile away from designated First Amendment areas.
8-15-2001

Washington Post

Bush delays Medicaid reforms. Despite all the hoopla over the recent patients' bill of rights debate, neither version of the bill--the McCain-Edwards-Kennedy bill passed by the Senate or the watered-down House version--does anything to protect the poor or uninsured. For that, the government must reform Medicaid, which was the subject of several rules passed by the Clinton administration in order to enforce a compromise made during 1997 budget negotiations. But Bush is delaying and narrowing those rules in order to appease insurance companies and state governments that are worried about the cost.
8-11-2001

Washington Post

Bush rejects request for review of Karl Rove's finances. Karl Rove, the president's top political consultant and a federal employee, met with the executives of six companies in which he holds more than $100,000 in stock to discuss White House policy. There can be no question that this creates at least the appearance of impropriety, something that Bush promised to avoid during his term. Given his oft-repeated campaign promises of an ethical administration, one would think Bush would be extremely cooperative with any investigation of possible ethical lapses. But no. A request from House Government Reform committee ranking member Henry Waxman of California to Bush for records relating to Rove's finances and meetings goes unheeded, making it clear that Bush's promises to restore honor to the White House are little more than empty words.
8-11-2001

Washington Post

Bush eases ethical restrictions on stem cells. It's ironic, really. Bush's decision on stem cells limits federal funds to researchers working on stem cell lines already created. But in doing so, Bush also wipes out Clinton administration ethical rules on obtaining stem cells from embryos. Those rules included not allowing researchers to ask women for access to extra embryos during implantation, as it is a time of extreme vulnerability for most women. They also laid out exactly what was required for researches to gain "informed consent" from women before using their embryos. The Bush rules don't include these requirements, in effect opening up women to potential exploitation. While Bush speaks of protecting the groups of cells from which stem cells are derived, it's obvious he never thought about protecting the fully formed humans from which they originate.
8-10-2001

Washington Post

Bush refuses to fund research on stem cells derived from new embryos. Trying to appear wise as Solomon, the president falls on his face and looks more like--well, himself. In a decision clearly crafted for maximum political benefit, Bush decides that no federal funds will go to scientists creating new stem cells from existing embryos slated to be destroyed. Instead the federal government will only fund 60 self-sustaining lines of embryos already in existence. The decision pleases no one apart from the president's yes-men. Catholics call it unacceptable because it still, from their perspective, treats human life as something cheap. Scientists are worried that the limitations will hurt scientific research. As with his position on abortion, Bush tries to avoid a real stance in order to appear blameless.
8-9-2001

Washington Post

Bush eases rules on wetlands development. In direct contradiction to an earlier promise to protect wetlands from destruction, the Bush administration has decided to ease rules set in place a year ago that make it more difficult to develop real estate on wetlands. Bush's own EPA and Fish and Wildlife Agency support the old rules, but real estate developers don't. Guess who wins?
8-8-2001

Washington Post

Bush eases Clinton rules on industrial pollution. The story has become almost routine. The EPA under Clinton sued several power plants for adding capacity without following Clean Air Act regulations requiring them to reduce emissions. Now the EPA under Bush decides, with plenty of input from the energy industry, that these suits were unjustified. The agency will narrow the rules under which it would bring those suits, which will have a direct impact on the air we breathe.
8-2-2001

Salon.com

Bush undermines House efforts to develop a bipartisan patients' bill of rights. By negotiating solely with Republican congressman Charlie Norwood of Georgia over the patients' bill of rights, the president fractures a coalition of Republicans and Democrats that had dedicated themselves to putting the interest of patients above those of HMOs. Bush and Norwood announce their deal without consulting other sponsors of the bill, making the "compromise" nothing but a political game by the White House.
7-27-2001

USA Today

Bush jails a journalist for not revealing her sources. During the Clinton administration, the Justice Department never--not once--jailed a journalist trying to protect an anonymous source. Attorney General John Ashcroft reverses that policy by jailing Vanessa Leggett when she refuses to turn over notes for a book she's writing about a 1997 murder. What's worse, the proceeding that led to Leggett's incarceration is held in secret, with even the judge's name not released.
7-27-2001

New York Times

Bush commission releases biased Social Security report. The president had an agenda when he appointed the members of his commission on Social Security, and it had nothing to do with protecting the nation's elderly poor. He appointed members who were Democrats and Republicans to give it a veneer of bipartisanship, but the commission was ideologically homogenous with regards to the very issue it was supposed to study. The result, its report, is a biased prediction of the early death of the program meant to scare the public into supporting Bush's privatization scheme. The individualized accounts Bush proposes would shrink the Social Security surplus at a time--baby boomers reaching retirement en masse--when it needs to be expanded.
7-26-2001

Washington Post

Bush officially rejects germ warfare treaty protocol. Two months ago, the Bush administration was considering rejecting a protocol for enforcing a decades-old treaty banning biological weapons. (See 5-20-2001 below.) Now Bush officially rejects the protocol, saying that it endangers the industrial secrets of U.S. biotech firms. Once again the president has a choice between what's good for corporate profits and what's good for the public, and once again he makes the wrong decision.
7-24-2001

Washington Post

Bush isolates United States in denying support for Kyoto treaty. In what can only be described as an embarrassment for the world's largest economy, the United States is now the only industrialized nation that doesn't support the Kyoto treaty to reduce greenhouse gases. America has 4 percent of the world's population but is responsible for 25 percent of the greenhouse gases, which are the primary cause of global warming. Bush's lack of world leadership on this issue is so reprehensible that the city of Seattle has decided to implement the pollution reductions in the treaty anyway. Perhaps enough U.S. cities will follow suit that our president's backwards policy will become irrelevant.
7-23-2001

Associated Press

Bush ends gun buy-back program. The National Rifle Association believes that if guns were illegal, only criminals would own guns. Government programs that buy back guns from the community (at prices well under their market value) work on similar logic; after all, what law-abiding gun owner would want to give up his $400 gun for $50? They get thousands of guns off the street--20,000 in their first year alone. Now President Bush cuts funding to these programs at the behest of the NRA, payback for all those campaign contributions.
7-19-2001

CNN

Bush refuses to turn over energy task force records. The General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress, asks Vice President Cheney to turn over records showing just who he consulted when developing the nation's energy policy. Cheney boldly stands up to the GAO's unreasonable assertion that public policy development should be a public process. Surely the vice president has nothing to hide, such as the fact campaign-contributing executives from the energy industry had a disproportionate influence on the process.
7-17-2001

Reuters

Bush delays water cleanup rules. The Environmental Protection agency goes to court to block Clinton-administration rules requiring cleanup of national rivers. EPA head Christine Todd Whitman says she needs "additional time to listen carefully to all parties with a stake in restoring America's waters"--Bush administration code for paying back polluting industries for their huge campaign contributions.
July 2001 - Present | January 2001 - June 2001
Evil scale
Evil
Very evil
Very, very evil
Very, very, very evil
Very, very, very, very evil

end bug

The Wage Slave Journal is a collection of political commentary by Jesse Berney.

A complete table of contents is on the archives page.