Dr Charles Green on Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:52:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] (no subject)

David Garcia's response to the fibreculture interview by Geert
Lovinck with me regarding my book on artist collaborations, The Third
Hand, is thoughtful and wise.

He asks "whether it is possible to understand any of the significant
work of this time outside of the political. . . . This period was
saturated in utopian optimism of an intensity that is difficult to
imagine today. The freedoms won when large numbers of artists threw
off Greenburg's formalist constraints and began making works
unmediated by the conventions of specific mediums was widely
perceived as part of a wider emancipatory
movement."

He is right, and these are exactly the points I make all through my
book, which takes great care to name and explain the wider
psycho-social context, and the different way that artists conceived
of their activities, which was much more holistic and complex than
the simple connection of art to politics as this had been imagined
before.

Mr Garcia notes that he has not read my book, and I think that when
he does he will find that I have tried to home in on exactly the
now-obscured motivations and distinctions he thinks should be
remembered. This recovery, and the analysis of a foundational moment
beyond the 1980s context of a transition into postmodernism, was one
of my chief motivations in writing a revisionist history of art that
has importance to contemporary visual culture beyond a narrow history.

Charles Green