Bill Spornitz on Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:58:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] CRM: Customer Relations Mismanagement

This is a copy of a little note I sent out in response to an article
in zdnet's tech update on *Customer Relations Management*, the latest
popcorn fart of an idea put forth by a struggling industry to keep
the money and the Porche's flowing... thanks for sharing ;->

There's a fatal flaw in most CRM analysis available today. With all
the talk of tools and platforms, TCO and ROI,  no one is taking a
look at the non-renewable resource that is key to success in this
field - customer goodwill.

I work on the front line of CRM, on the phones, and I can tell you
that your *customer* is growing increasingly hostile to the regular
intrusion by those that seek to better serve them.

The CRM market is just in it's infancy and, already, it is very
difficult to get anyone to talk to me; I'll call for an hour just to
speak to one person, and then they'll tell me what they think I want
to hear just to get rid of me. As far as I know, Garbage In still
equals Garbage Out and I fear for the quality of knowledge that is
derived from the interviewing I am doing, and the decisions being
made because of it. With more players calling, emailing, faxing and
pestering already busy people, the customer base is ready to vote
with it's silence.

As well, once we have the customer on the phone, we badger them with
hastily produced, overly long scripts, effectively and subliminally
associating aggresive brands with harassment and inconvenience.

Do you want to improve your customer relations in America in 2002?
LEAVE THE CUSTOMER ALONE.

10 steps to forecasting, achieving CRM ROI
by Beth Eisenfeld, Gartner Group

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2830655,00.html

 From the page:

When enterprises seriously begin to contemplate or pursue customer
relationship management initiatives, they often become aware that the
costs can be daunting.  However, when done correctly, the benefits of
CRM initiatives are significant and can justify associated
investments.  As the global economy continues to decline, more
scrutiny is being paid to business and technology investments.  CRM,
although one of the last initiatives to be "cut back," is no
different.  In any economy (good or bad), smart senior executives pay
attention to the investments they make, so that promised benefits are
broughtto customers, employees, and shareholders.  At a time when
executives should be obsessing about customer loyalty, many are
considering walking away from (or delaying) critical CRM initiatives,
daunted by the seemingly high cost and time it takes to achieve the
promised return on investment (ROI) or set back by organizational
obstacles.  However, making smart investments in the right components
of CRM strategies can pay off in a big way, if they are done
correctly...