Ivo Skoric on Mon, 24 Dec 2001 04:17:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Israel to Buy 52 More F - 16 Fighters

Obviously, one can't be happy with Israel buying more arms - not in
the midst of the war that is waged fiercely between Israelis and
Palestinians at this time. How is that the US does not set an
embargo on weapons exports to Israel? I mean there was similar
embargo imposed on Croatia, Bosnia, Yugoslavia.... Why add
weapons to the war? That won't help the peace process, I bet. I
understand that at the time of this bad economy, such a purchase
may be welcome by American business. And Israel is not the only
one buying American weapons - Arab states do it, too (Oman just
recently placed a big order). But isn't this what prolongs the war
between Israelis and Arab states - supplying them both with hi-tech
weapons? Furthermore - what I find especially interesting - is that
Lockheed outsourced the production of F16 airframe and avionics
to Israel. I don't know what they were thinking, but it looks like they
created a valuable target for suicide bombers.
ivo