Judson on Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:27:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] even Mr Spock likes wearing sexy lace underwear

Hey, I've got a question.  I've been checking out various lists and
they are all SO dry!  Is it like some Star Trek phenomenon?  Appeals
to an inexplicably specific crowd/personality?  There really is no
rational connection between sci-fi and computers.  What kind of
people take posting SO seriously?  Maybe we all just fit some bad
stereotype.  Fundamentally lack perspective on ourselves to notice.
But we more than compensate by obsessing over our very own,
unbelievably proprietary "identities" incessantly.  Doesn't anybody
get bored with the same topic all the time?

How come when I meet people at parties, even hard core artist crowds,
computer geek crowds.  Nobody I meet talks like on these lists.  Half
these conversations would send everybody looking for the bean dip.

Somebody mentioned a while ago students not knowing about these
lists.  Seems far more likely they knew but also knew their teacher
was a devout member.  When asked, thought "How dull!  What does he
take me for?"  But we're polite enough to just say "No, never heard
of them."

Gotta imagine it's a possibility.

Maybe you don't like that idea.  Oh well.  There's always
Phhhholitics.  Serious import, you know.  We just can't be bothered
with trivial things when there's all these opinions to voice.  Maybe
I'll talk about Phhholitics but then so many other people do, I think
it's about covered.

So what other subjects are there?  Pretend for a moment.  I know it
must be awkward but being an artist takes a little pretending.  It
may not be your thing but imagine you are a viewer that just saw
something really exciting.  What did you see?  I doubt Da Vinci was
ever reeeally in a state of religious ecstasy and I doubt if Warhol
was ever reeeally fascinated by tomato soup labels (though he really
got into the pretending).  Artists don't really have to like ANYTHING
AT ALL (in that awful world outside of our studios/desktops) but it's
good to pretend sometimes.  Somebody please say something goofy, so I
know you're still alive.

Judson

if you just have to,
here is info and samples of some
experiments in on-line hypnosis.
but if you end up clucking like a chicken,
don't blame me.

http://judson.judson.net

Plasma Studii
art non-profit