ernie yacub on Sun, 20 Jan 2002 06:26:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> In Gold We Trust, part 1

At 02:19 PM 1/19/2002 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>I'm not an academic, though my head is sometimes potted.

i shall take you at your word.

>I'm still at a loss to understand how these "community currencies"
>would be used to pay for products outside the community.

ok, suppose i am a baker from another town and i want to do business in
your town, i would be wise to take your money - ditto neighbourhood.

>  Or will
>every community have its own steel mill and chip plant?

i think not.

>  It's a big
>leap from using scrip to exchange products at a roughly similar level
>of technical complexity and capital intensity - meals for haircuts,
>housecleaning for dogwalking.

have your read any of our material?

>  But what about things that require
>machinery, financing, specialized labor, and entities that extend
>across time and space to produce them?

what about them?  whatever you have to pay in normal money you obviously
have to, but if you can use community money and that means normal money
stays in your pocket then you have more to pay for the shit that comes from
out there.

>  How would a New Yorker like me
>get a computer or an orange?

how good is your work?

>  Once you get beyond exchanging simple
>goods and services in a small geographical area, you have to have a
>state-guaraneteed token (or gold), or you can't have commerce.

say what?

>  Or are
>you really proposing that production be undertaken strictly on a
>local scale?

no.

>  Do you even think about the relations between money and
>production beyond the level of sentiment and wish?

do you think that is a damn foolish question?

ernie