sharif ezzat on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:24:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] EU backs Arafat, asks Israel to pay for damage

how exactly does the destruction of vital infrastructure discourage
terrorism? wouldn't it provoke and legitimize acts of opposition
instead?

-- sharif

EU publicly backs Arafat in fresh challenge to Bush

By Stephen Castle in Brussels

Europe and the US were at odds over the Middle East last night after
the EU issued a statement in defence of Yasser Arafat, and said it
may demand compensation from Israel for EU-funded property it has
destroyed in Palestine.

In stark contrast to recent US criticism of Mr Arafat, the EU said "
... Israel needs the Palestinian Authority and its elected president,
Yasser Arafat, as a partner to negotiate with". Some EU foreign
ministers were more blunt, Sweden's Anna Lindh, being the most
outspoken.

As she arrived for yesterday's meeting of EU foreign ministers, she
said: "I think it is very dangerous if the United States is
supportive of the Israeli government and of the confrontation
[Israeli Prime Minister Ariel] Sharon has tried to use instead of
supporting peace talks."

Diplomats said the EU declaration was balanced and pointed out that
it called on Mr Arafat to "do everything to put an end to terrorism
and the armed intifada; dismantle all the terrorist networks and
arrest and prosecute the perpetrators of terrorist acts".

The EU is to write to the Israeli Foreign Minister, Shimon Peres,
keeping open the option of seeking compensation from the Israeli
government for the EU-backed projects which have been destroyed. Last
week the European Commission and member states released a document
which blamed Israel for the destruction of more than ¤17m (£10.3m)
worth of property paid for by the EU. It listed a catalogue of
destruction wreaked by the Israeli army at sites including a school
construction, the airport, a port, broadcasting studios and an
irrigation scheme.

Josep Pique, the Foreign Minister of Spain which holds the EU
presidency, said: "We reserve the right to call for compensation. We
are going to take whatever decision we believe to be appropriate."

The EU's declaration said it is "seriously concerned at the
destruction of Palestinian infrastructure and other facilities which
help Palestinians in their economic, social and humanitarian
development and which are financed by the EU and other donors."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=116936