Lachlan Brown on Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:40:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The New USA

Regarding the Shadow Government of the
United States of America, its Coup, and
the recycling of the Constitution of the United States as toilet paper.

>Right wing cabal, probably not.

Well, its hardly a social democratic assembly
with anarcho-syndicalist sympathies now is it?

> Very strange constitutional situation,
yes.

No sunset clause on emergency powers. Indeed...

>While the Executive Branch has every responsibility and right to
ensure succession, only one successor to the presidency resides in that
branch.  The others reside in the legislative branch, i.e., Congress.

One can forsee a wide range of situations,
given present extraordinary 'emergency'
powers that might override succession,
and lead to the purging or even suspension of
a House of Assembly.

M.Gorbechevcould, one suspects, provide insight into the behavior of a post-Cold War
government under the stress of change

>if the Federal government were to disappear -- the state
governments take over.

Good... Consider Federal Government
compromised.

>Life might get somewhat fractured and strange

surely no more strange than contemporary American culture?

>with
over fifty separate governments running the place,

Not necessarily. A form of Confederation
of Sovereign States has its popular appeal. One not
compromised by Canada has a fairly  interesting one, and a constitution that is
 always in progress, with one Province refusing to sign it, but it works, kinda.
Its quite remarkable that
it has survived for 120 years, especially with you lot as neighbors.

 >but the country would
survive.

It would thrive.

 >Long Live the Republic of South Dakota....

North Dakota ditto (you'll need a friendly border).

Now we are getting somewhere... This makes
complete common sense. Is this
appeal to State sovereignty compromised
as it was historically in the 19th century?
Or is it a strength of the 'New Union'?

[Please remember where you first read this
phrase and cite me.]

Rise up North Carolina.
Fayettnam! The 82nd Airborne
isn't doing anything at the moment. They
have a pretty enviable tradition of fighting Naziism
abroad and fighting strange Nazi cults successfully within its own ranks.

Of course, this is all mere idle chat
and fiction, irony + satire.

Lachlan Brown
Toronto