david turgeon on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:37:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] not parody (fwd)

make the date 2012 instead of 2002 & you would have had a perfect
futurefeedforward story for bruce sterling to forward to us.  this,
however, is a true press release from cato.  despite all my cynicism i find
it's quite a wonderful world where people are being paid to write things
like these & get away with it, though i would suggest that they go the
extra mile & file it under "fiction" the next time around.

the following quote sums up the spirit:

"If people want to drive fuel efficient cars, that's their right.  But
forcing people in cars they don't otherwise wish to drive -- or indirectly
taxing them through the regulatory standards for not choosing to
drive cars that environmentalists like is not only wrong, it's
dangerous."

hmm-mm.  that wasn't from the onion, either.  to its credit, the text
teaches us that:

"Gasoline con sumption in the United States is only
responsible for 1.5 percent of all human- related greenhouse gas
emissions."

me thinks you've got to have a rather large national ego to consider 1.5%
of the world's emissions an insignificant figure, but keep in mind
that:  1) i'm not a scholar;  2) i'm not the director of natural resources
studies at a neoliberal think tank;  3) i'm utterly & most unescapably
canadian & thus unable of the higher reasoning attained by the high priests
of the US constitution.

have a nice day
~ david

-- snip --