mercedes bunz on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:48:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> digital hooliganism

andreas broeckmann wrote:
>while i agree that the net is becoming more irritating as it is becoming
>more insecure through a decrease in social control, i think it is useless
>to decry the lack of moral responsibility.

actually the interesting thing in pit schultz's text is:
he is not talking about a realities of the net,
like a loss of security (was it ever? isn't that net.cültür.pessimism?),
but he is talking about the strange realities of its cultural discourse:

>  in their midst former hackers who still
>perform their sport like innocent boy-scouts praised by the net culture
discourse as role models.

and I think he is perfectly right there. he gets right through to the
point, that the cultural reflection misses the  shift of the figure
"the hacker". and it did miss it. so the ciritque is less directed
towards the hacker, but more towards its cultural reception. a
reception which is performed on this list here, the feuilleton of the
internet. ; )

andreas broeckmann wrote:
>there is a certain romanticism
>(remember those old pirate movies ...) in the appraisal of hacker culture,
>but as alex has already pointed out, we probably need a more precise
>terminology to say which types of 'hacking' are doing exactly what.

  I think the industrialisation of the hacker is indeed a very
interesting phenomenon. should be for net.art.historians at least.
very good topic. but while i think there are still reasons to do
hacker techniques workshops at the transmediale or wherever, we must
be aware that this puzzle with the terminology can be something like
a last try to save the old role-model. maybe we should leave the
hacker and go back to politics?