Carl Guderian on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:38:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> 3 Suggestions For A News Diet

Pieter wrote:

> Taken without permission from an article by Marco Visscher, "Wijsheid is
> geen nieuws" ("Wisdom is No News"), in *Ode*, Rotterdam, #44, March
> 2002, http://www.ode.nl
>
> Three Suggestions For a "News Diet" (detox program):
>
> 2) Never watch the news on television, but watch it half an hour later
> on video tape instead. You will find you'll skip over the uninteresting
> bits, and that the sum total of news you watch will drop. (Bonus tip:
> With everything the news reader says, ask yourself aloud, "Oh, is that
> so?")

That's especially true for CNN, assuming you still watch it. Filter out the
Science & Technology "reports" that are rewritten press releases from
Raytheon, Intel or GM, and the journalistic fellatio that passes for business
news, and you're down to a few seconds, about the time it takes to scan the
headlines on Yahoo's home page. Too bad you can't do that for radio news shows
like NPR (in the US). Everytime I used to tune in, they were running that
"Grandma loses her mind" feature.