Lachlan Brown on Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:48:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] The Commons? Greenham Common!

Completed my social science methodological exercise into the question tragedy of the commons?. The exercise was undertaken from
Sept 1st 2001 to Easter 2002 to 'sharpen up'
 my social science methodological
skills after researching the emergence of
Internet in culture, 1993-. The study was of
a closed system in which numerous needy individuals competed under high stress in
an open air environment over resources that fluctuated over time. These resources were tied to variations in international
migration patterns, as well as seasonal variations
in the weather, and the environment was modified by the landlord in various ways,
and also the State intervened on one occasion, .
This was a winter long study, excpet for 5 weeks detention in an Immigration holding centre, carried out near Toronto.

I found that no tragedy of the commons
occured. While this was a social exercise
subject to ecological variations as well
as variations brought about by changes in
human patterns of migration, and not
a study of ecology alone; my findings have
relevance for the impact of such a stable
system in human geography and society,
despite heightened competition among individuals, patterns of collaboration
occured contingently with little conflict.
When there was overgrazing or resources were
few, the environment was more crowded with
competition but people accepted less and managed their schedules and demands in their
own interest and in the interests of others.
This study of stability and sustainability
under extreme conditions in society has
relevance regarding impacts
upon another closed system like the
eco-system. It should not be too difficult
to model this system of human behavior in a sympathetic relationship with our biosphere.

The study was also a self funding
social science research exercise. Not that
I recommend this way of funding across
the board.

I found, additionally, that I had ample
time to intervene online in the failure of
the critical community to speak up against formidable emergency legislation in the interests of public safety in the West,
post 911; and then to intervene in one possible way this legislation may be
employed, opportunely and politically through 'witchtrial' methods to
further erode our rights, responsibilities
and social democracies. I think I was successful in both interventions. Though sometimes I was quite tired, physically and
intellectually the exercises were compatible
and enjoyable.

If you would like to know more, please get
in touch with me care of editors@london.com

The study could be repeated and hence the conclusions can be tested by a hardy social
scientist or human geographer next winter.
I wouldn't recommend the experience however.

Re: confusion over the meaning of 'The
Commons' in Mute Magazine, Chicago and elsewhere:

The clearest expression of the meaning of
the word 'Common' in England that I know of,
that may help to focus people's attention
on the question in hand, politically and culturally speaking, is Greenham Common.

Happy Easter.

Lachlan Brown