Ursula Biemann on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:05:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Stuff It Symposium in Zurich

Title: Stuff It Symposium in Zurich

please circulate widely and excuse cross posting

The Institute for Theory of Art and Design, Zurich cordially invites you to

Stuff It _ The Video Essay in the Digital Age
Symposium and Video Screenings

Friday - Sunday, May 31 - June 2nd, 2002
at the migros museum for contemporary art

Stuff It_ an essential particularity of the video essay is the compression of time and levels of meaning, mediated through a dense configuration of image, text and sound tracks. Today, this multi-layered, discursive video genre situates itself in the context of new communications media and digital production which open new dimensions to image technologies and means of diffusion. The video essayist practice also responds in content to an increasingly complex society. Thus, the primary concern of audiovisual essayists is not to represent visible realities but to test conceptual connections through the articulation of rather untangible social and cultural transitions. The diverse ways in which this working method expresses itself in the combination of precise observation and recording, subjective narration, and theoretical reflection will be the subject of the symposium.

Participants:

Nora Alter, theater and film studies, Florida
Ursula Biemann, video artist and curator, Zurich
Christa Blümlinger, film studies, Berlin/Vienna
Steve Fagin, videomaker and writier, San Diego
Sören Grammel, curator and cultural theorist, Munich
Jörg Huber, cultural theorist, Zurich
Angela Melitopoulos, video artist, Cologn
Maurizio Lazzarato, cultural theorist, Paris
Walid Ra'ad, videomaker and cultural theorist, Beirut/New York
Samir, videomaker and film producer, Zurich
Hito Steyerl, videomaker and author, Berlin
Mathilde ter Heijne. video artist, Amsterdam
Tran T. Kim-Trang, video artist, Los Angeles
Jan Verwoert. cultural theorist, Hamburg
Rinaldo Walcott, cultural theorist, Toronto
Paul Willemsen, video curator, Brussels

All lectures and presentations are held in the language of the announcement.

Program

Friday, May 31

18:30        Greeting Heike Munder
   Introduction Ursula Biemann

19:00        Double Viewing - Über die Bedeutung des 'pictorial turn' für
        den ideologiekritischen Umgang mit Bildmaterial
Jan Vorwoert

20:30   Dinner : Paella by Stefan Reiner

22:00   Video Screening
History and Memory Rea Tajiri, 1991, 32 min.
    Alexia, Tran, T. Kim-Trang, 2000, 10 min.
       These Are Not My Images, Irit Batsry, 2000, 78 min.

Saturday, June 1

11:00        Video-Essayismus. Zur Theorie des Übergängigen
  Jörg Huber, anschliessend im Gespräch mit Elisabeth Bronfen

12:15        Zum Wechsel der Dispositive
     Christa Blümlinger

13:30 Lunch break

14:30        Memory and History: Reels, Tapes or Windows?
    Nora Alter

15:30   "...but I don't want to talk about that": Postcolonial and
        Black Diaspora Histories in Video Art
   Rinaldo Walcott

16:30    Break

17:00   Panel moderated by Samir with presentations by
        Walid Ra'ad: Civilizationally, we do not dig holes to bury ourselves:
        excerpts from an interview with Souheil Bachar
        Hito Steyerl: The Empty Center

19:00     Dinner: Wok by Timon Erdt

20:30   Digitale Montage und Weben: Eine Ökologie des Gehirns
        für Maschinen-Subjektivitäten.
        Sound Performance-Vortrag von Angela Melitopoulos
        und Maurizio Lazzarato

22:00   Video Screening
Sea in the Blood, Richard Fung, 2000, 26 min.
        dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y, Johan Grimonprez 1997, 68 min.

Sunday, June 2

11:00     Monologues of Disembodiment. Figures of Discourse in
        Steve Reinke's Video Work
       Paul Willemsen

12:00     Take my Essay, Please Take my Essay: Wit and its Relation
        to Intellectual Intent
  Steve Fagin

     Brunchpause

13:30        The Essay as Form. Video as an Instrument to Touch the Real
     Panel introduced and moderated by Sören Grammel
with presentations by
   Mathilde ter Heijne: For a Better World
Ursula Biemann: Performing Borders: the Transnational Video
        Tran T. Kim-Trang: Blindness and its Metaphors

An event of the ith - Institut for Theory of Art and Design, HGK Zurich
in cooperation with the migros museum for contemporary art, Zurich
and Videoex video & experimental filmfestival Zurich
concept and organisation by Ursula Biemann

Place:  migros museum, Limmatstrasse 270, 8005 Zurich

Information and Reservation
ith Institut for Theory, Tel +41 1 446 26 52, info@ith-z.ch www.ith-z.ch
migros museum, Tel +41 1 277 20 50, info@migrosmuseum.ch
Videoex video and experimental filmfestival 10.-19. Mai, info@videoex.ch www.videoex.ch