Derek Holzer on Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:18:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> murder

Phil, et al,

This series of pictures was published (in Holland, at least), about
two weeks ago in the Volkskrant, and I believe one other news
daily. It was shot from an apartment overlooking a street where this
scene took place. From what I recall of the text, the man in the
picture was taken from a bus when other passengers reported he
had a bomb. This series is missing the last picture which I saw
published, in which a bomb-disposal robot is seen picking up the
dead man's belt. A romantic-styled, photo-parlour image of this
man taken before his death was also published in last weekend's
Volkskrant, along with similar photos of other "martyrs". I wish that
I could provide a link to the Volkskrant pictures, but I cannot right
now. The text accompanying the pictures on your site (not yours, I
assume) does seem a bit "inflamatory", and I suspect that the last
picture in the series was removed to strengthen the impact of the
rest. Regardless, summary execution is hardly a style of justice
befitting a civilized, western nation, as Israel would like to make
itself out to be. The series of images (truncated or not) stands as
brutal testimony to the kind of desperate, "frontier-justice" being
handed out to the Palestinians on a daily basis.

Best,
Derek