Benjamin Geer on Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:41:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: solaris: list on IT & development issues

If I can be forgiven for stating the obvious, the fact that Solaris is
already the name of the most widely-used commercial Unix operating system
(developed by Sun Microsystems) makes your announcement sound like
complete nonsense.  I laughed out loud at sentences like this:

> The bandwidth gap is widening on any level at an accelerating pace. With
> Linux stagnating as an alternative to Microsoft, limiting its role as an
> operating system and server software, Solaris would like to raise the
> question in which areas strategic software could be developed.

It sounds like some bizarre marketing campaign for Sun Solaris.  It
sounds even more absurd when you say that your list is about IT and
development, because every programmer, system administrator and IT
manager knows that the Solaris operating system is so expensive, and runs
on such expensive hardware, that very few organisations in developing
countries could ever afford it.

Is this meant to be a joke?  If not, to save your own sanity and everyone
else's, I suggest you choose a different name.

Benjamin