Joseph Franklyn McElroy Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ist] on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:44:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> un-plugged-in digest [sawad, fahey, napier]

Quoting nettime's_api <nettime@bbs.thing.net>:

>I also think that many non-artist programmers would resist referring to
>Flash as a programming language. Well, they would giggle. Programmers tend
>to think of C/C++, Fortran, Basic, Java as their materials. To be sure,
>there is a bravura at work there. Programmers tend to work with programming
>systems or libraries in order to create their applications, but Flash still
>seems very much tied to the development environment Macromedia sells.

Having started on Qbasic in the 70's (i was a very young prodigy), munched on
hexadecimal dumps and machine code during the 80's, baptized in C and VB in the
90's and now feasting on Java and Actionscript in 00's I think that I can say
that Actionscript is programming.  Any programmer (or paper writer) that
disagrees can meet me at the next Iron-man competition where we will duke it
out to determine the winner. We will get Howard Stern to broadcast it live.  As
for being trapped by environments - that only happens to the kids - there are
always strategies for migration or emulation.  All this might change, but
currently nothing can trap you but time.

--
Joseph Franklyn McElroy
Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ist]
Electric Hands, Inc
www.electrichands.com
212-255-4527
Electrify your sales, Electrify your Mind