Ivo Skoric on Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:26:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: U.S. Might Refuse New Peace Duties Without Immunity

"The administration worries that the new court could be driven by
politically motivated prosecutors and that American military
personnel would not have the constitutional rights granted all
Americans in criminal proceedings — for example, the right to be
tried by a jury of peers and to have access to evidence."

1) This is the same argument Serbian "administration" has about
ICTY. Aren't we endlessly hearing even from Kostunica that The
Hague is driven by politically motivated prosecutors? So, what's the
difference between the U.S. and Serbia in that respect? They both
hold their 'sovereignty' more sacred than the human rights law.

2) It is besides the point to argue that ICC is a fair court with all the
protections built in - in fact many judges would be American and
the rules would be the same, save for absence of trial by jury, as
they are in the US courts - I would like that some big media US
journalist ask Rumsfeld what of those protections are guaranteed
to non-citizens in the U.S. detained on suspicion of connection
with terrorists? Do they have access to evidence?

I understand that I merely continue to state the obvious: that the
U.S. wants to set the rules for the world, but wants itself to be
exempted from them, but I think that sometimes repeatedly stating
the obvious may be helpful.

After all the discussion whether should we live obeying the law or
obeying the brute force is as old as human civilization itself.  I
wonder what would Socrates tell Rumsfeld, and would he be given
lethal injection for that....

ivo