Nmherman on Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:02:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Museum Sues Nonprofit Art Site 2002

Subj: Re: RHIZOME_RAW: a copyright story
Date: 7/18/2002 4:57:07 AM Central Daylight Time
From: curt@lab404.com
To: list@rhizome.org
Sent from the Internet (Details)

>Hi Curt,
>
>Thanx for posting this.  I learned a bit about copyright law & the net.  Did
>EFF get back to you?

Yes, I've been talking with their chairman of the board.  It's been
very enlightening for me as well.  Turns out I can (probably) link to
the image in the context of the subsequent posted email dialogue,
since that constitutes fair use.  But "inlining" the image in the
quilt, even though it's not stored on my machine, and even though I
have permission from its creator to do so, is fairly equivalent to me
"using" the image myself.  The law is more interested in the human
intent and the end result than in all the particular technical
nuances of it.  Linking and "inlining" (calling an image into your
page from another machine) are not equivalent, because their intent
is different, and their results are different.

Basically, all this stuff is right on the edge of what is legal and
what isn't.  It turns out there are few legal precedences for my
particular situation.

peace,
curt
http://www.lab404.com