April on Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:41:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 07-23-2002 [ Hide Quick + Comment Capers 2 ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

NNY Times Crosswords
Play hundreds of different crossword puzzles!

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $12.95!

Ulead PhotoImpact 6
Awesome graphics program - great for the web!

Only $34.97!

Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 w/ FREE Myst Game
The best encyclopedia with the # 1 game of all time!

Only $24.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $19.97!

Announcements

A Word of Caution - Hiding MS Excel Columns / Rows

A reader sent me a caution for last Tuesday's tip on using hidden columns and rows that I felt warranted a few moments.

Be careful of hidden columns and rows when sorting data. Excel can create quite a mess of your data.

Solution: Unhide all columns and rows BEFORE sorting! Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Trish!

Gettin' Religious

We have a *super* deal on Compton's Interactive Bible this week.

WAIT - before you stop reading, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that a CD ROM bible is probably a big rip-off and isn't something you want anyway. After all, you probably already have the book, so why bother with the CD?

Well, that's what I thought when I first considered offering this one, but after looking at the program, I have changed my mind - big time. This ain't your grandma's Bible!

This thing is awesome. You can, of course, read and run searches (great search capability, by the way), but there's lots more to it. Here's a few samples:

- Built in dictionary. If you run across a word you aren't familiar with, just double-click it for a definition.

- Expert commentary - both audio & text.

- Historical Atlas - see the word mapped the way it was in biblical times.

- Religious paintings, videos, and photos.

- Personal Study Journal - for your own notes.

And these are only some of its many features. Again, I was very surprised at both the quality of the software and the ease of use. And I was VERY impressed with all the extra commentary, audio, and video.

Finally, this software is CD only - no book, no box (it is easy to use and has an extensive help file though). It retails for $49.95, but are offering it for only $12.97 and US shipping is FREE!

Here's the info (check out the screen shot) and order link:

Click Here Now For Compton's Interactive Bible!

As always, supplies are limited, so don't be one of those who are going to miss out on this awesome deal.

MS Office 101

Quicker Hiding of Rows and Columns

Another reader came through with a timesaving tip regarding the hiding of rows and columns.

When we discussed hiding in last Tuesday's newsletter, I sent you through the Format menu and then to the row or column submenu.

(See archives at http://www.worldstart.com/archives/index.htm to see the original tip.)

Of course there was a quicker way. Reading the e-mail was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

After highlighting the row(s) or column(s) to be hidden simply right-click and choose Hide from the pop-up menu.

Poof! Data gone (or at least out of sight).

This also works with the Unhide option.

Thanks for the reminder, Patrick! It seems I'm getting more forgetful every day…

Office Tip of the Day

Comment Capers 2 - MS Excel

Last Thursday we went over the handy little comment gadgets in MS Word. Today we move on to MS Excel.

To quote myself: "Basically they're an electronic sticky note. They can be displayed on the screen and/or printed with the document. 'Comments' will let you attach the question to the troublesome spot."

How cool is it to be quoted? Who needs fame?

OK, so back down to Earth and back to the business of comments in Excel.

Right off the bat you need to decide where a comment is needed. In other words, to which cell should the comment be attached?

Once the decision is made you have a couple of methods to choose from for inserting the comment. One way is to use the Insert menu, Comment choice. The other method is to right-click on the cell and select Insert Comment from the pop-up menu.

A text box will pop up with the author's name on the top line. The author's name is determined by the User's name entered in the Options.

(To change the author's name go to the Tools menu, Options choice, General tab. You should see the User's name box at the bottom. Change the text in the box to reflect your preference for author's name. This new name will apply to all new comments put into the worksheet but not previously created comments.)

You are then free to type your comment into the text box. When you have completed the comment, simply click outside the text box to exit the comment.

Now that the comment has been created, you should see a red triangle in the upper right corner of the cell to which the comment is attached.

To view the comment, run your mouse pointer over the cell. A text box containing the comment information should pop up.

Now I bet you need to edit the comment, don't you? (The inevitable oops - I hate it, but can't seem to get away from it.)

There are several ways to edit comments. One way is to select the cell, go to the Insert menu and choose Edit Comment from the menu. The comment text box will open allowing editing.

Another method is to right-click over the cell and select Edit Comment from the pop-up menu.

Either way, you are put back into the text box where you can edit to your heart's content.

Need to delete the comment completely?

No problem - right-click over the cell and choose Delete Comment from the pop-up menu.

By now you may have noticed the Show Comment option in the right-click menu. (Just below the Edit and Delete choices.) Selecting this choice will display the comment text box on the worksheet all the time, not just when you run the pointer over the cell.

If the comment box is displayed, you can click in the box for instant editing. You can also use your mouse pointer on the edge of the text box to click and drag the comment to any location on the worksheet. (This is good to keep the box from covering data.)

Once the comment box is shown this way, the choice on the right-click menu changes to Hide Comment. This will reverse the Show Comment operation.

Now, let's talk about that little red triangle. My first question when I saw it was, "Does it show on a printout?"

The answer I found was, "No!" In fact, I printed with the comment box showing on the monitor and that didn't appear on the printout either.

But never fear, they can be printed either in the worksheet itself or at the end if you need them on your hardcopy. Want to know how?

To tell Excel how you would like your comments printed with your file, if at all, go to the File menu, Page Setup.

On the Sheet tab, in the middle, you should find the Comment options in the form of a pull-down list.

"None" will tell Excel to print no comments or indicators.

"At end of sheet" will print the worksheet and then print the comments on a separate sheet. (Each comment is headed with the cell location for the comment. For example Cell: B6 would precede a comment for cell B6.)

"As displayed on sheet" will have Excel print the worksheet exactly as you see it on the monitor. Comment boxes will appear exactly where you have them placed with their connecting arrows to the proper cells.

OK, hang in there, I've got one more area to point out.

If you go to the Tools menu, Options choice, View tab, you'll find a section in the center with a few choices for how Excel should show comments.

"None" will display nothing on the monitor - no red triangle, no comment will pop up when the mouse pointer is run over the cell, and you won't see the comments if you set the worksheet to print comments "as displayed on sheet". However, they will show up in a list if you choose to print comments "at end of sheet".

"Comment indicator only" will insert the red triangle marker when you first create the comment but you will need to run the mouse pointer over the cell to display the information.

"Comment & indicator" will have comments marked with the red triangle and display the comment box on the screen immediately. This can save you the trouble of using right-click to Show Comment later on.

"But April, what's the difference between all of this and a right-click?"

Well, you'll find that choices made from this window affect ALL comments on the worksheet whereas comments from the right-click menu affect the currently selected comment only.

Whew! That's it (I hope). Now, you're a comment pro!

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org