Nmherman on Sun, 28 Jul 2002 09:06:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] My sins, my God, forgive me

Re: Post-Modernism source of moral equivocation?

by Kubrick, 07.27.02 04:32 pm

rinaldo: yes, i'd say that art offers an ethics rather than a morality, which implies certain kinds of idealism, whether that's platonic or materialist.

Re: Post-Modernism source of moral equivocation?

by maxherman, 07.28.02 02:32 am

I woke up from a scary dream last night and my only urge was to express to everyone how "values" are a mapping thing and a morality/ethic thing.

Luckily RS mentioned physics and mapping so I'm in legal company. However I am the greater genius than RS, thank gracious.

Back to NN: love, altruism, protecting the earth and human freedom all come from the kind of mapping regimes we use to plot value.

Again I gotta say we need a r/evolution big time on this type of shi. I know no one here will listen to me but I get to say it anyway.

Brains need sex. Sex needs to be freed from disease and slavery. Love Theory tm by NN is serious neuroscience, not just digi-fetish neumusik (Rinaldo, there are voices crying in the wilderness out there).

Humans evolved love and altruism because of the pressure sexual selection exerted on cognitive behavior. The brain scientists are proving this again and again, like James Austin's "Zen and the Brain," but no one will listen. Neoteny. Oxytocin. The amygdala. How stress blocks integrative contemplation in teens and primates, breeding violence and depression. Top shelf science at many many serious universities. Do artists care? Their stock in trade is kultur, tradition, and the burgomeisters' ids.

Artists are priests and we need a dissolution of the monasteries.

"He who gives not money to the poor, but for indulgences, buys not indulgences but God's wrath."鈥擬artin Luther

Genius 2000 is here now and on the move. Smith is a dinosaur.

++
Pomo Equivocation at Artforum Talkback, artforum.com
++