April on Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:33:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 07-30-2002 [ Super Shortcut Issue! ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

NNY Times Crosswords
Play hundreds of different crossword puzzles!

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $12.95!

Ulead PhotoImpact 6
Awesome graphics program - great for the web!

Only $34.97!

Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 w/ FREE Myst Game
The best encyclopedia with the # 1 game of all time!

Only $24.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $19.97!

Announcements

OK, Don't Let Your Jaw Hit The Floor...

We featured this in our Computer Tips newsletter last week and the response was incredible! So, I told Steve we had to offer this to you too. So, here's the scoop:

We just received an awesome deal! We have Norton System Works 2002 PRO Edition for only $19.97 and US shipping is FREE! No rebates, no hassles, just an incredible deal.If you were to purchase this in the store, you would pay $99.95. (Note that this is CD only. Yes, you can register it and yes, all documentation is on the CD. Why spend an extra $80.00 for a box and a hard to read book?)

This is the best pricing we've ever been able to get on this one (normally we have to sell it for $28.97). Now, since we're getting a good deal, so are you :-)

This includes:

# 1 Norton Anti virus- Everyone knows about this one - it's one of the best on the market. It's quick, easy to use, and runs transparently in the background, always protecting you. Plus it automatically updates itself, so you don't have to hassle with manually checking for new virus definitions. This alone retails for $49.95, so even if you don't need the other components, this is reason enough to buy!

# 2 Norton Utilities - Here's one we use all the time help speed up our computers (the defrag program is great). It finds and fixes problems, keeps your data safe from most hardware / software problems, keeps an eye on your hard drive, has its own scan disk and defrag programs (much more advanced than the stuff included with Windows), and can even fix most of the problems it finds - quickly and easily.

It addition, it can also help you recover deleted files, help optimize your PC for better performance, plus give you detailed information about your system. And more!

# 3 Norton Clean Sweep - Have too much junk on your hard drive? This software can help you remove unwanted programs (better than the Windows Add / Remove program thing), clean up internet temp files (cookies, excess plug-ins, temp files, etc), compress seldom used programs so they don't eat up a bunch of hard drive space, help you copy a program from one computer to another, and TONS more.

#4 - GoBack - Provides quick and easy system recovery. GoBack gives you the power to immediately undo common user errors and serious system problems on your PC. If you've ever messed up in a big way with your computer, this is for you. It lets you go back in time and retrieve lost data, unfreeze your computer when the system unexpectedly quits, or recover from a nasty computer viruses.

# 5 Norton Ghost -
This is an excellent way to make identical copies of your hard drive. It's a great tool for adding a larger drive and transferring your data.

# 6 WinFax Basic - This one lets you send and receive faxes from your computer. It has a lot of terrific features, but I think the best part is the way it allows you to manage faxes the way you would manage e-mail. Makes keeping track of things a breeze.

Any one of the above components is worth over twice the asking price but you get all of it for
$19.97 . Now, I'm not sure how many more of these I can get at this price (it was an overstock deal), so be sure to grab yours before we sell out! Here's the link for more information:

http://www.worldstart.com/store/syswks.htm

PS - If you prefer Mcafee, we have their anti-virus and firewall bundle for $18.97. Click here for that page.

MS Office 101

Have you ever wondered how to jump from one worksheet to another in MS Excel without using the mouse and clicking on the worksheet tabs?

I bet you've tried to use the Page Up and Page Down buttons but found that they simply moved you up and down within the same worksheet. Useful, but not really what you were looking for.

Well, you were so close that if we were playing "Hot & Cold," I'd have to say you were red-hot.

To move from one worksheet to another (within the same workbook) with the keyboard use Ctrl + Page Up or Ctrl + Page Down.

Viola! No mouse needed!

Office Tip of the Day

Navigation Shortcuts for MS Word

Here's the picture: you're working on the ultimate document, it's a masterpiece! Too bad the masterpiece is also a nightmare. It's easily the longest document you've ever edited and the navigation through all those pages is a huge headache. (Not to mention the back and forth, back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse.) Help!

Never fear - help is on the way. While these shortcuts won't make your document shorter, they will help to ease the pain as you try to navigate - hopefully without the need for aspirin.

Let's begin with some keyboard shortcuts:

Arrow keys = moves one space or line in the arrow direction.

Ctrl + Left or Right arrow = moves the cursor one word left or right.

Home = moves the cursor to the beginning of the current line.

Ctrl + Home = moves the cursor to the top of the document.

End = moves the cursor to the end of the current line.

Ctrl + End = moves the cursor to the bottom of the document.

Page Up = moves the cursor up the length of one screen.

Page Down = moves the cursor down the length of one screen.

Ctrl + Page Up = moves the cursor to the previous page in your document.

Ctrl + Page Down = moves the cursor to the next page down in your document.

Now here are a few tidbits for document navigation with the mouse on the vertical scroll bar.

The first and easiest is to realize that when you click and hold on the scroll box a text box will appear which tells you what page you're scrolling to and the section title which begins the page. This is really helpful in a very long document - it keeps you from playing the guessing game about where you are with the scroll button. (It cuts down on the "Oops - I went too far" problem.)

Below the scroll bar, there is a series of three buttons that can be extremely useful.

The top and bottom buttons (double up and down arrows) are for moving one object up or down. Notice, I used the word "object" and not page. No, it's not a slip of the tongue, or in this case the fingers.

The middle button (the dot) is called the Select Browse Object button. It allows you to select what items or objects the double up and down arrows jump to. For example, if you set the button to Graphic, the up and down arrows will jump from graphic to graphic regardless of how many pages are between each graphic.

To see your choices for the Select Browse Object button click on the button. You should see a small palette of choices appear.

Select something from the palette that will aid you with your editing. The name of the icon will appear in the gray box along the bottom as you run the mouse pointer over each icon. (I tend to use either Browse by Page or Browse by Section but you need to choose whatever will help you the most.) Keep in mind that you can change this setting whenever you wish - so put it to good use.

Well, there's a pretty good list of items to learn. Give them a try - they're such small things that add up to a lot of saved time when used regularly. I don't know about you but I'm always looking to save time!

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org